Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sleeve hitch issues

TractorChic

I'm trying to hook up my Brinly single bottom plow and suddenly this happens ...

1470021_10101864486700624_853347697_n.jpg

This is a 4-inch sleeve hitch, which seems like the standard size? Do the Brinly plows require a different size? It's a 3.5" gap there. :'(Is it time to get out the angle grinder or should I seek out a new and different sleeve hitch? I hear they are rare treasures.

Cutting this hitch would still require lift to be worked out. This style also does not allow for the locking bolts to secure the attachment for side to side play. With a moldboard you wouldn't want it locked, but if you plan on additional sleeve attachments it would be desired.

I believe Tim Flury uses a chain with his Brinly plow and the hitch he made. You would about have to use a chain unless you have a tab welded to the bottom of the rear lift arm to use the newer stlye Brinly hitch.

Chain lift is how these hitches were designed.

As for the bolts to stop the swaying, I would much rather have my plow swing sideways around a rock or other immoveable object, than have it not swing and catch hard and flip the tractor over backward..........

quote:Originally posted by RayS

The newer Brinly style has a lift rod going to the rear lift arm.

id="quote">
id="quote">Yup, but this was allowable because those later machines had cable-lift vs a solid rod to the rear lift bracket. I wouldn't want to run an FDT with a newer style hitch, unless the lift linkage under the seat was chopped with a couple chain links in it, or the lift lever 'locked-out' so it was free to move around. Even hydrolifts in 'float' don't react fast enough when pulling a plow, IMO.Chic...What do you have going on for lifting the plow anyway?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if her B10 is like the LL and B10 I have, won't she have to weld something underneath the rear lift tube to accept the rod that runs up from the hitch? I had to on both of mine. I'd hate for her to order one of Ray's hitches, only to unbox it and run into another problem (unless you've got a welder).

I inserted a 1" bar and hung a chain from it.

For some reason, the site is acting a little funny, could be on my end..... I'll try to put up some pics from home.

I just lobbed off the hitch and rigged a chain to lift the plow! I didn't take pictures of my handywork, but here is proof of my results ;)

1455977_10101864709304524_1039753447_n.jpg

1470315_10101867074220214_1171737106_n.jpg

Thanks,guys!!! Looks like this sleeve hitch will forever be used for the Brinly plow.

To use the newer hitch on my 64 Landlord and the 725 I drilled a hole in the lift. Been quite a while back and I don't recall what the measurement were or who posted the on here for me. Then I scored and old stlye so I use that on the plow.

NICE job plowing Chic. The most fun you can have on one of these little machines. IMO

Cool, plowing with these little beasts is sure fun huh!?:P If you are thinking you may want to use the hitch at a later date for adapting a cultivator or such that would use that old style hitch just keep the piece you sliced off to use as a bushing to take up the slack.;) Just a thought.

Originally posted by TractorChic

I just lobbed off the hitch and rigged a chain to lift the plow!

id="quote">I've plowed the garden 2 yrs as above. Probably would make the 1" bar longer to lift further back on the plow if I were to use it more.