Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My Best CL Find Ever...I Got Pics Finally !!

GLPointon

This Deutz-Allis 1918 Ultima (Sunstar) has been on Craigslist for a month for $600. The seller just lowered the price to $550 2 days ago. I made the trip yesterday and can't believe it didnt sell before...?

DSCI6282.JPG

DSCI6284.JPG

DSCI6286.JPG

This has a Kohler 18HP Magnum & runs great, Power steering, Dual Hydraulic controls, it came with a 48" Deck (rusty) and a 4-Way hydraulic Dozer/Plow.Then to top it off he knocked off $50 more, added some tire chains and a new front tire, belt & filter he had...[i think this was overlooked because he listed it as just a "mower"]

DSCI6283.JPG

DSCI6281.JPG

My Questions: I have a 20hp rolling Chassis I got from "Yukon". It has the dual brake pedals, Hi-Lo, and diff lock...How hard would it be to combine these to have a "Decked-out" version of this type tractor? I've never worked on or even driven one till today...I also want to find a rear pto & 3-point hitch...? Thanks sm01

DSCI6282.JPG.e3f89b3b31e5901cd362508dd65021d3.JPG

DSCI6284.JPG.4db1b763474b3de581d7a73041327c44.JPG

DSCI6286.JPG.47725ba152716b27d963c4aa7aac3c73.JPG

DSCI6283.JPG.1bd3c91a6d0e9a0f42961ceda0cb96fb.JPG

DSCI6281.JPG.faf1802f1e742aa37e8fed8cc03b1009.JPG

Greg:

If you go with the 3 point hitch, you'll need the 2000 rpm pto. The engine speed pto goes with the sleeve hitch. That's how the tillers are set up.

BTW, I've got the repair, parts, attachment & accessory, and several other manuals for the SS saved on my computer. PM me your e-mail address if you want copies.

Sounds like you could really build a nice unit for cheap Greg. All I have to say is good luck on the 3pt and PTO. They are out there, but will cost you much more than your tractor. To find attachments for it will again, double or triple your investment...but it would be cool as heck. I see more loaders for them than 3pt/PTO's.

Sounds like a heck of a project and a good one to keep you busy. That's a good thing because I am sure you have nothing else to do.;)

Thanks Guys...I cant wait to post some pics but the system isnt working now XX(

Chris I'll e-mail you for the manuals...Thanks!

Josh I may give the 3-point a try but not the rear pto..? then I can plow, disc, culivate...but no tiller

Has anyone tried to put a Soverien type hitch on a SS. Could use the "Aux" Hydraulics to raise/lower the hitch?

Just a thought...but I still cant run a std tiller that way..sm00ngr2

I've seen more SS's with 3pt and no pto, than both. A 3pt is probably doable. If you simply had the frame for it (or reproduced/fabricated one), lift arms, lower arms and a top link can be bought in Cat0 or Cat1 from many online resources. You would just need to figure out the lift linkages. First thing I did with the Legacy was stick Cat1 arms on it, and beef up the pins. It lifts far more than the book indicates.

I've discussed using the aux hydraulics for the front and rear at length with Mr Wells. With a valve, you could have lines existing and flip between them, still using your control levers. That could run a lift or hydro angle rear blade or rake.

What if you find a hydraulic tiller (Case/Ingersoll?), and fab a mount and pto setup for it? Lots of possibilities!

Hmmm....Aux hydros to run a Hydraulic motor to turn a sprocket...Trencher Fab ?:D

Can the "on-board" hydraulics run a FEL? Do the Legacy's? or do they have an add-on hydro pump?

No, no, no...the aux hydro cant run a motor. You would need to power the motor via belt or shaft powered pump and pipe the fluid to the implement motor. Mid pto would be ideal. Same thing with a loader pump...you would need an independent pump off the pto just like your current loader. Thats how they are oem as well.

Originally posted by GLPointon

Thanks...But What does that mount to Tim? Is it for a SS? or like a std. tractor sleeve hitch?

quote:
id="quote">Looks like just a homemade sleeve hitch for a large frame. Chris would have pics of an SS standard rear hitch and I think he made a sleeve hitch for it.

quote:You would need to power the motor via belt or shaft powered pump and pipe the fluid to the implement motor. Mid pto would be ideal. id="quote">
id="quote">

Not to nitpick, but Josh has to correct me like 15 times a day so I can't pass up what might be my one and only opportunity ever. SS doesn't have a mid pto. Has front, optional rear. Mid attachments like the mower deck run off the front pto with a shaft running back to a gear box mounted on the mower deck.

Josh:

question for you. The rear pto's on the SS's essentially just have a rod sticking out the back that slides up onto a splined shaft. (I'd post pics, but they ain't workin' for some reason). Is the 540 rpm pto for the Legacy's done the same?

I'm wondering if you can't use a 540 rpm Legacy pto and the only issue would be re-fabing the brackets that mount it between the frame. Then Greg could have a 3 point hitch with a 540 rpm pto, so he could use a lot of different attachments.

Is the Legacy rear pto an "engine speed" input like the SS? Thats why the SS needs a speed reduction system (gears or pulleys?) right?

So doess the Tiller's gearbox do this or is a "speed reducing-PTO" required before the tiller shaft?

Also from a couple entries up... I think any hydro circuit can run a hydraulic motor as long as there is a "pressure line" and a "return line" back to the hyd resivoir. As long as it has enough press & volume to run said motor...sm01

Thanks guys for all the input/education (on these UGLY tractors :D)

Greg:

I can't speak to the Legacy's. But as far as the SS, if you look under the rear end of your roller tractor you'll see a splined shaft sticking out of the tranny. Now, do a search for "my little PTO" and you'll see pics of my engine speed PTO. (Can't post the link or pics from my phone, sorry). As you'll see, it's basically just an extension for the tranny spline shaft with an electric clutch in the middle; nothing to reduce speed. I haven't looked at the manual in a long time, but I think the 2000 rpm rear pto has a gear reduction set up behind the electric clutch.

Frankly, Since I bought my tractor I've seen 4 or 5 engine speed pto's come up for sale (1 I bought), but only one engine-speed-pto compatible tiller (which was 1000 miles away round trip. That's why my pto's still gathering dust under the work bench. I've not seen any 2000 rpm pto's or 3 point tillers come up for sale.

Originally posted by huffy
quote:
id="quote">haha...you're right...I've been referencing the shaft pointing fore of the pto assembly the 'front', and the shaft pointing aft, the 'mid'. My FEL uses the 'front' and it mounts to the bracket where the dozer or blower would mount. I was picturing 'mid' becuse it would shorten the hydro lines and save some cash-o-la on rubber.

Chris, the PTO's for the SS and Legacy (all types) essentially mount the same and take up the same real estate. I'm thinking, yes, a 540 PTO would work on the SS if a guy could bolt it in. I think the rationale behind Simplicity's offering of the 2000rpm and 540rpm pto's for Legacy, was that the 2000rpm is used on lower HP machines (20-23hp Legacy), and the 540 option became a recommendation for the 25hp & diesel tractors (only 540 was available for the XL's).

My 540 PTO attachments will bog the CH25 I have, depending on ground speed, etc. I don't think I'd want to run a 50" 540 tiller, 4' brush hog etc with 20hp, much less 18hp. The gas engines won't pull like a subcompact diesel of similar hp rating, and the PTO HP of these has to be significantly lower than the engine rated HP. I've heard my CH25 gets about 17-18hp to the PTO (fact or fiction...I dunno).

Greg, yes, the implements for engine speed or 2000rpm pto's will have their own gear reduction. They are designed for use with lower hp. The hydro circuit in your SS will 'run' a hydro motor, but it would not be sustainable. Even if you pump didn't overheat, you would simply not have the capacity to make the motor perform, and you would lose transaxle and power lift capability while it was in use. That's how I understand it, anyway. It's not 'pressure', it's displacement and fluid volume/cooling.

All the PTO's are 'gear reductions' so to speak. The engine speed and 2000rpm pto's are chain drives, and the 540 is a gear drive. I'm not sure if Legacy PTO lines up with the output shaft from a SS transaxle or not, but I'm sure something could be worked out.

I really wish I had the angle adjust hydraulics for my SS. I'm quite envious of that.

One reason that I want it is because the blade will lift fairly high. I'd like to buy a second plow blade and weld sides and a bottom on it to make it into a small bucket. I could then mount brackets, and use the auxiliary cylinder to enable the bucket to tilt forward to dump. I think that would be fairly handy, and easier to take on/off than a loader.

Chris, I've seen guys tack on a hinge-half, to their dozer, then build a bottom/sides that can simply be pinned onto the dozer hinges to create a clamshell bucket. I've seen hydro and electric acuated 'openers' for dumping contents from them. I'm thinking there are even pics here of that style bucket.