Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mouse problem solved

perry

Well maybe . I think i may have figured out a way to keep mice out of the old Briggs engines . Living out in the woods i have plenty of mice that get into anything that sits around for more than a week . I have had a B-10 sitting in the shed for almost two years now. I pulled the tractor out this week and no mice in the engine but signs of them in the battery box and frame tunnel , witch is no big deal since they cant hurt anything in them place's.

We all know mice love that sweet spot on top the magneto/coil inside the old cast horizontal engines. and they ruin the coil and can be a pain to clean out. and if not found will over heat the engine if ran.

Here is what i did, before i put the B-10 away i removed the sheet metal from the engine head and replaced the bolts . that was it . quick and easy. that opened up the mouse house sweet spot and the mice wont build there being exposed. that was my theory anyways and it seamed to work . so may you'all might give this a try when storing your tractors.

NOV006_zps75b357a0.jpg

NOV005_zps5ed26e00.jpg

And last spring i caught this little killer ripping the wires off the S&G . there was a mouse taunting her somewhere in the tractor , but not on top the coil ^.

NOV010_zpsa98cb8ec.jpg

NOV008_zpse2e6ff80.jpg

NOV009_zps65403a73.jpg

Perry,

I thought you eluded to an issue like this in the past.

In support of your comment, the piece of shroud is missing on my landlord and i also have had no visitors. The tractor lives in my shed where i have swept out my fair share of droppings.

quote:Originally posted by timflury

Perry, I thought you eluded to an issue like this in the past.

id="quote">
id="quote">yes i mentioned it in a post , figured i would start a new topic . if you guy's try this let us know the results with the mice.

quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

Sounds like a great idea and it appears to work. Anyone think removing the head bolts annually would lead to an early blown head gasket?

id="quote">
id="quote">I am really not sure about the long term outcome is on the gasket. but if you get a mouse nest the sheet metal has to come off anyway and you might also be puling the engine and replacing the coil.

quote:Originally posted by PhanDad

Sounds like a great idea and it appears to work. Anyone think removing the head bolts annually would lead to an early blown head gasket?

id="quote">
id="quote">Have you read the Briggs Manual that recommends that you remove the head every so often to brush the carbon from the combustion chamber?

I wonder what every so often refers to? Most engines we work on are 30-40 YO. And carbon buildup only becomes an issue when it effects the operation of the valves.Seafoam will solve the problem without head removal.

REMOVE COMBUSTION DEPOSITS Every 100-300 hours of operation. Remove cylinder head and cylinder heat shield. Scrape and wire brush the combustion deposits fromcylinder, cylinder head, top of piston and around valves. Use a soft brush to remove deposits. Reassemble gasket, cylinder head and cylinder head shield. Turn screws down finger tight, with the three longer screws around the exhaust valve, if so equipped. Torque cylinder head screws in a staggered sequence to 140 inch pounds.

The paragraph above was transcribed from a Briggs manual.

forgot I pulled the head metal off this 3414 before i parked it, it has been sitting in my woods since last spring . pulled it in garage tonight and no mice nest ^.

NOV27002_zps6a07b00b.jpg

NOV27001_zpsdf39f7fd.jpg

After too many years of engine damage from mice and trying every trick I heard about with nothing working, I started "covering" each engine with 1/4" rat wire (some here call it hardware cloth). It takes some doing to fit it in under sheet metal or wherever it will go to give a firmly held fit over any opening. It may not look the greatest but it works.

As far as their not building where they're exposed, I just pulled one off the top of the radiator on my Ford 640 and have found them in many other such open areas.

It's 10 degree in Pardeeville, WI. I would like to try this on my 2 12hp engines but am concerned about the engine and head bolt being so cold. I don't want to damage anything.

Should I loosen the head bolts with it being so cold out?

quote:It's 10 degree in Pardeeville, WI. I would like to try this on my 2 12hp engines but am concerned about the engine and head bolt being so cold. I don't want to damage anything.

Should I loosen the head bolts with it being so cold out?

id="quote">
id="quote">

That should not be an issue, Chris. It might come into play when re-torqueing the heads properly, but not for removal.

Thanks Brett.

I pulled the metal pieces and found no nest so I hope it stays that way.

Will wait till a nice warm spring day to reinstall everything.