Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mroman59

Valve spring compression question

mroman59

I have a Kohler engine Model CV740S , Spec no. CV740-0024.

I purchased a sears gasket kit to change my head gasket. After installation, I rotated the flywheel and noticed that the #1 cylinder head exhaust valve spring was not compressing in as far as the other three springs. What could be the reason and could there be a problem?

Only one head gasket went bad, but I decided to change both since I purchased the tractor used and I discovered that Kohler changed the design of the original head gasket, because it was blowing prematurely. After tearing it down, I discovered that #1 cylinder gasket had already been replaced by previous owner. This side was the good side as the spark plug was burning normally, light brown/tan. The #2 head had the sooty spark plug and the original smaller/thinner designed gasket.

I had no loss of engine power before changing head gaskets. #2 head gasket valve springs are compressing in equally, by visual inspection. I double checked that I had the push rods in correctly. The push rods and rocker arms were not interchanged. Any thoughts and should I be concerned?

Thanks,

MR

mroman59
quote:My guess is you probably have a drained hyd lifter.id="quote">
id="quote">

With a drained hyd lifter, do you repair, i.e oil and new seal or do you replace it.

Someone said it could be a bad cam too.

thanks,

MR

mroman59
quote:My guess is you probably have a drained hyd lifter.id="quote">
id="quote">

Are you suggesting that the fluid (oil) drained out of the lifter, rather than the lifter be worn on the end? I would hope this is the case. If the engine only has 400 hours on it and all the other valve springs appear to be compressing in fine, then I am guessing that the cam and or the lifter is not worn. Some people are suggesting that the lifter and cam are worn and need replaced and suggesting to the cam and all 4 lifters.

I just put the new head gasket on and cylinder head. Should I be able to remove and inspect that one lifter using the lifter tool, without removing the cylinder head again? I don't want to mess up the new gasket.

Thanks,

MR