Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs spark problem

nelra2000

16 hp Briggs horizontal 3200 series. New piston/rings, points/condenser, mag air gap at .010, points at .020, timing marks right on, Has hot spark about 4 times when I begin spinning starter, rpm comes up with full starter speed and loses spark, release key start and as rpm comes down, has spark again. I've tried it w/point gap at .010 and .030. No change, loses spark at full starter speed and regains it again as engine slows to a stop. Points can't be bouncing. I'm totally baffled. I've been restoring these old Briggs for about 8 yrs now. Any ideas?

Problem solved. I had been suspicious of the extra long plug wire. I removed the 2-leg coil/mag and found it to have a trigger pin on the bottum. I installed one from a blown 12 hp horz Briggs and the engine runs just fine. Ya never know what you're gettin' when ya buy a non-running tractor that's been sittin' for some time in some one else's shed that "they" had bought and planned someday to repair.