Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dentwizz

Rear Diff question

dentwizz

I am having a not so limited differential on my 64LL, HB-112 and dad's 2210 and it seems to be the nylon bushing in the hub itself but the bushing is listed not available. Does anyone have a source or maybe a measurement of the part to replace it? Ice season is almost here in pa...

HubbardRA

One thing that you can do is completely replace the diff, axle, and hubs with one from a later model RBT that has the spring loaded spider gears. You can actually tighten these up more than the factory settings by putting shim washers behind the springs to increase the tension. I did my first one about 25 years ago. I replaced the axle assembly from a Simplicity 700 with the axle assembly from an AC 716. I also shimmed it. Still working fine today, even after 20 years of tractor pulling.

rickpilgrim

Back in my pulling days on the 725 chassis we put shims in with the spacers and cranked the bolts REAL tight for dirt and pretty tight for pavement and that worked really well for many yrs- but you have to dial the tightening in and the brass shims do wear in time. Inexpensive though....

HubbardRA

Josh,

Check around. There should be several people with broken trannys that would be willing to let the rest go cheap or even give away the units to get rid of them.

Yes, you can change the springs and spacers inside the diff. Buying all those parts would likely be more expensive than picking up some old trannys.