Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
midnightpumpkin

Testament to the NOVA II Module

midnightpumpkin

I installed a NOVA II ignition module on the 14HP CI Briggs in our 7010 two years ago. It has seen considerable duty plowing snow and running a leaf vac in the fall.Last week it started to run rough at WOT with the leaf vac and seemed to have lost a lot of power. It still started just fine.I pulled the plug and found the worst fouled plug I have ever seen.

plug1.JPG

Another view

plug5.JPG

There is still a gap!

plug4.JPG

I think it is amazing that this engine would start with such a nasty plug. Credit the NOVA II for the fact that it would start and run at all.The fouling was probably due to an over-rich carb setting and the fact that it is an oil burner.John U

plug1.JPG.688fa7681821e3c02b21b5d07923c7c8.JPG

plug5.JPG.6b62709641b35bf93a7e6088c45334fc.JPG

plug4.JPG.8b11ac517fadbabf8dd2656c8549dfc3.JPG

BLT

I, might still have one, Mega-Fire, running around that was installed right after they were introduced over twenty years ago. I sold the tractor eight years ago and never heard from the person.

BLT

I, might still have one, Mega-Fire, running around that was installed right after they were introduced over twenty years ago. I sold the tractor eight years ago and never heard from the person.

Kent

One advantage that the conversion to coil ignition has, over the Magnetron or any of these aftermarket modules has (at least in my experience) is that the spark is not dependent on how fast the engine cranks when trying to start it...

IMO, a coil-fired ignition will start up with the engine barely turning over in cold, cold winter temps while all the others seem to require that the engine spins fairly fast before they'll fire...

midnightpumpkin

Kent,

I agree that the coil ignition has big advantages.

I am currently trying to get a 1922 Fairbanks-Morse Hit and Miss engine started. It has a Bosch magneto that turns at camshaft speed. I am about to see if I can't rig up a coil ignition on it! I recall that Model T Fords used a buzz box for starting and then switched over to Magneto to run.

My post here was to illustrate that the NOVA II module is also a very good solution to ignition issues on our single cylinder Briggs engines.

John U

1meanZ

I know a little off topic, but if the plug looks like that I wonder what the top of the piston and the valves look like....I'm amazed it doesn't have 10:1 compression with that much build up, and tons of pre-ignition to go along with it.