Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler twin coil

GWGAllisfan

The coil for a KT -17, which is missing on the GT-17H I just bought, is very expensive. Loolooking around on the web, several people discuss using gm coil packs or harley coils, etc.

I'm wondering if, at least to see if it will run, rigging up two regular coils, (wired in parallel) and two condensors i have, just to make sure its not fuel related. Do you all think that might work? I know it would be sparking on the exhaust too but that shouldnt hurt.

The people I got it from said it was running, it backfired and quit, and wouldn't restart, and took off the coil.

I just want to be sure it's not fuel related, before I buy a coil.

You cannot get two coils to work equally together. A friend of mine tried it. He could never get the engine to run smooth and have full power. I was as his house one day and talked him into pulling the double coil from a motorcycle that he had. He hooked that up on his engine and it purred like a kitten. A double coil is wired up so that it fires both plugs from the single coil. One spark plug wire comes from the positive side and the other plug wire is on the negative side. Usually this setup will either fire both cylinders or both will be dead, since they are fired by the same circuit and that circuit goes through both plugs.

If you use two coils, one will draw more of the current and charge higher, keeping the charge in the other coil weak. It is almost impossible to find two coils that are totally identical electrically.

We run 2 parallel non resistor automotive points style GM coils on the K582 kohler powered hustler for the last 4 yrs and the only problem is shorter points life. As far as power loss goes it's a 25hp 72" zero turn that mows @8mph and works just like before the $137. Kohler eBay price back then.

I used a Harley coil on my KT-17 on my 917H until I couldn't afford to keep adding oil between gas fill ups . I used it because I had one and the pulling guys use them also. Needs to be for a Harley with points though. I ran that coil for about 50 hours with no points issues. Seemed to have a stronger spark too, do not ask how I know that! :I

• 4 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by tweinke

I used a Harley coil on my KT-17 on my 917H until I couldn't afford to keep adding oil between gas fill ups . I used it because I had one and the pulling guys use them also. Needs to be for a Harley with points though. I ran that coil for about 50 hours with no points issues. Seemed to have a stronger spark too, do not ask how I know that! :I

id="quote">
id="quote">Please elaborate in the senior moments sectionsm00 Its gotta be a good story!:D