Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tamurmueen

Re-chroming Advice

tamurmueen

I am looking for advice on re-chroming the grill supports on an old Landlord. They are currently painted-over, and I am looking to have them sand-blasted and re-chromed, but haven't a clue as to how to go about this quest. I imagine that many of you have been through this adventure, and can steer me easily in the right direction.

I am hoping for general thoughts, specific people to contact, and to learn what I might expect to pay for this pleasure.

Chris727

Not cheap and not as simple as how it was produced at the factory. I believe the supports were cut from a piece of stock that was chromed prior to the supports being welded to the base of the grill housing. Chrome plating is a total immersion process. Unless you want to cut the welds, have the supports chromed, and then reweld them in, you would have to get the entire assembly chromed. Also let the chrome shop do the blasting. At least around here... They don't want it pre-blasted. Around here it would run at least $100 on that item.

timflury

http://www.classiccoatings.com/ceramic.html#polished

I've had work done here. It is best to call them and see what they can do for you. What's nice is the fact that you can fill out the order form from their site, pack your parts, and ship them to Sheboygan and they will return the finished parts to your doorstep.

The Cermachrome is of high quality, but it won't give you the same mirror finish as chrome plating.

I had also sent parts here for chrome plating.

http://www.badgermetalfinishing.net/

They do awesome work, and it isn't cheap. I would estimate that each part will cost you about $50.00 each, or more to polish down and chrome. They will also handle your order via email, or telephone and ship your finished work to your door.