Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
donmoore1904

Purpose of a stinger weight

donmoore1904

OK, I just blew my own mind. I had assumed that if I added a rear lift kit I got on a parts tractor 3410, which came with a 48" plow and a lot of obvious wear on the transmission casing where the hitch cable dragged against it, to my 7010, I could counter weight my dozer blade. The PO had obviously used the 3410 as a dedicated plowing machine - came with installed rear wheel weights and chains and no deck.

Without investigating further, I installed the RLK, and ran a test. Adding a weight to the rear hitch seemed to make no difference, and if anything made the plow heaver.

I got scientific about it - got a scale, and sure enough, more weight on the back, more weight on the plow. Oops - bad plan. Then I did the thinking I should have done earlier. Looking at the dog on the lift shaft, a rear weight would make it harder to pull the lift lever, not easier. Doh! Glad I used some barbells and didn't go buy a stinger.

So now my question is, what purpose does a stinger perform for which applications? I can see how it provides additional weight to the back of the tractor, and more down force at a front plow, at least on my machine. Are any tractors set up so a rear weight could counter a plow's weight, and would that ever be desirable? Obviously some plow weight is useful. Any thoughts to enlighten a simpleton would be greatly appreciated.

Don

ps If anyone can source a negative weight, I would be interested :D

B10Dave

Don. B series tractors use a solid rod to the rear lift and the stinger does counterbalance a plow or blower. On the cable connected lifts of RBT's I believe the cable routing over the pulleys can be routed to do the same thing. Someone else will chime in to correct me if I am mistaken.....Dave.

Talntedmrgreen

Dave's right...you will need to change the cable setup, at the rocker, to enable teh rear lift to work opposite the mid/front lift, and allow the counterweight to work as you intended. Early machines were already setup this way, but RBT's were not.

donmoore1904
quote:Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen

Dave's right...you will need to change the cable setup, at the rocker, to enable teh rear lift to work opposite the mid/front lift, and allow the counterweight to work as you intended. Early machines were already setup this way, but RBT's were not.

id="quote">
id="quote">Interesting. I'll go take a look. It makes sense that the clever Simplicity people would provide for both functions. It would be truly amazing if you can use the same cable length for both, assuming it is reversible. I assumed (that makes twice...) that it only could be installed one way. Thank you for the replies.

donmoore1904

I looked again, and the only other option I see is there is a second unused dog underneath the tractor at the right of center, that sticks straight up. This dog would act as desired with pulling force by a cable to the rear. However, I don't believe it can be used because the right side of the 3-sp transmission housing where the shift rod goes through is smack dab in the way of the pathway to the hitch. There would have to be an additional intermediate shaft up front, so that a cable connection on the left side of the tractor was available to go rearward. I am not sure how this dog would be used - maybe with a different transmission.

I also don't see another provision for mounting the pulley that currently causes the cable to go 90 degrees downward, which results in the opposite of the desired action.

donmoore1904

Alright, I finally found it. I knew people here had to have tackled this, but I didn't use the right term. Something is indeed "missing".

I need a bolt-on bracket or a new shaft:

(scroll down 1/3 of the page to see picture)

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=56967

The part is: 1657910 Lift arm Assy.

Question answered. Thanks for the bandwidth.

HubbardRA

You will either need to install the double ended rockershaft from a 900/7100 series tractor, or to make an adapter which is no longer available. I made about a half dozen of the adapters but am no longer building them, because I didn't sell enough to make the fabrication worth while. At one time I made a writeup to show how to make the adapter. If you are interested I will try to dig up at least some pictures. That is all I have now, don't even have an adapter on hand. Used my templates to make the last adapter about 6 months ago. Now I don't even have the templates because they became part of the last adapter.

My AC 716H actually has a rockershaft from a Simplicity 7116 installed in it to reverse the direction of the rear lift. Weight on the rear will definitely counteract the blade weight on that one.

donmoore1904
quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

Here is an old post about rockshafts. You can see the differences there and what you would need.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=120155&SearchTerms=rockshaft

id="quote">
id="quote">That is a great link. The picture that Ray posted of his "late model 7010" with manual lift makes me jealous - it has the shaft that I need and is my very tractor - just later production. Evidently the semicircular metal band visible both in that picture and the stand-alone bracket is used to simulate a pulley and keep the cable end position constant height-wise.I'm going to have to regroup on this before deciding if I want to pursue this function. I appreciate Rod's offer above to dredge up some pictures of his previous work - I'm not sure I want to go that route yet. Thanks again guys - I didn't realize when I was searching around I should be looking for "rockshaft" to get what I needed. Never heard of it!

Chris727

I don't know what I did wrong, however on my 710-6 speed I had the cable routed so that the tiller would raise when pushing the lever forward just like an FDT. I never had an adaper or anything else installed unless the late 700s had the 900 style shaft? When I swapped the cable and pulleys over to a 7100 it lifted the opposite direction.

donmoore1904
quote:Originally posted by Chris727

I don't know what I did wrong, however on my 710-6 speed I had the cable routed so that the tiller would raise when pushing the lever forward just like an FDT. I never had an adaper or anything else installed unless the late 700s had the 900 style shaft? When I swapped the cable and pulleys over to a 7100 it lifted the opposite direction.

id="quote">
id="quote">If the 7010's had both versions of shafts in them, the same could be true for the 700s. Ray's picture of his 7010 at the link above shows a different shaft than I have in my 7010. His has ears both above and below the shaft, while mine has only below. If you connect at the top without a pulley, it works like your 710-6. If you use a pulley and connect at the bottom, you get the opposite function - maybe your 7100 had the pulley installed and you ran it to the bottom ear.