Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jmcj10

reinstalling front spindles

jmcj10

Just started doing a poor man's power steering. got the right side spindle off, put on the washers and bearing, but cannot get the spindle all the way back into the front axle. is there an easy trick to it? Also cannot seem to get the steering arm off of the left side. Lossened the two bolts that hold it in place, but will not budge. Again any hints would be a great help. Thanks in advance

GrincheyOne

Nice looking Sov, Mike.

Try a bit of heat to the arm (propane torch), then apply some PB Blaster, and let sit over night. I still had to use a "pickle fork" to persuade it to begin to move.

If you can get about 1/8" of movement you can complete the removal using a bearing separator.

Most of the folks installing the "PMPS" found that they had to grind a small amount of metal off the spindle boss on the axle to allow for the added washer thickness.

Cheers,

jmcj10

thanks for the tips but I'm having trouble sliding the spindle back up into the axle.It goes up but there's still about an inch to go. It doesn't seem to want to go any further, Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary

It's possible that the spindle is bent. The one I removed from my 917H was. When I tried to check it for fit, once the new bushings were installed, it would not slide through the upper bushing. Put a small square up against the spindle, to check for straightness.

Talntedmrgreen

If there's the slightest burr on that bushing or spindle top, it won't go together. Grit in there will do the same thing. Get a rag in there to clean out the old grease and gunk, and lube that bushing with grease by hand, and retry.

stevenj

Pull the spindle out and insert it from the top down. If the spindle goes in the same amount, I'd suspect the spindle has an issue. If it won't start or only goes in a small amount, I'd suspect the upper bushing.

dentwizz

It is also possible that the bushings themselves are fine but skewed in relation to eachother. If the end of the spindle is tapered enough it can be tapped/wiggled through and started if that was the issue.

MrSteele

I still have my thrust bearings for that upgrade laying around somewhere. Instead of adding thrust bearings at the spindle, while I was repairing a broken steering gear, I added longer(there is plenty of room to double the length) of the needle bearings in the steering gear. When I put it back together, it steered almost like power steering. I expect those of you using front mount implements would go the thrust bearings, in addition to the steering gear work. I would be willing to bet, though, that your steering gears have not seen a cleaning and new grease/bearings since the tractor was made.