Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lost the snowblower driven pulley - *Again*

rich_kildow

I was cleaning up snow this afternoon when the snowblower suddenly quit working. I got out and realized that the driven pulley from the snowblower was laying on the ground and the belt had landed about 30 feet behind my 7116. Nothing appears to be damaged as the key is still intact and the set screw is even still there. It just appears that the set screw backed out and the pulley came off the end.

Loc-tite is the obvious solution, but I'm a bit leery about doing that as I don't want to have the pulley stuck if that little square head gets rounded off. Any suggestions on how to make sure that doesn't come off when its not supposed to?

• 3 weeks later...

Done...except it happened again after about 20 minutes of snowblowing. I had put in a new allen head set screw with blue loc-tite and tightened it down good. My dad was running the machine and he said he thought he smelled burning belt that went away when the auger stopped. I'm guessing the belt smell was as the pulley was working its way off the belt contacted the built in guard/guide the pulley runs inside.

Any other ideas how to keep this from happening? I'm lucky I found the pulley 100' down the road and my fear is I'll lose it in the driveway, replace it, and suck the old one into the blower.

Using a drill and bit, slightly drill a recess into the shaft/key where the pulley should be. If the set screw is locating on the key itself replace the key with a new one to ensure a tight fit.

Dan

Not that I noticed, but I'll check it again good after dinner. I believe that is some shaft exposed once the pulley is on and I may add a locking collar outboard of the pulley to secure things even more.

Rich; does the allen head set screw sit far enough into the pulley that you could add a second one on top? This will lock it without worrying if you can remove at a later date....Dave

Did you let the loctite set up before running it?

You could replace the Allen head set screw with a square head one. Get one that's too long. Run a nut up on it, then a lock washer. Tighten the set screw down, then tighten the nut/lock washer down. Should stay put then.

I had something similar. With the pulley off the tractor, run the allen screw down thru the hole all the way thru. Mine had a burr that would seem tight, but not contact the shaft. Rob....