Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ATV's ...What do you run?

fishnwiz

Just was wondering what make/size ATV's that you guys run. I know there are a lot of guys on this site that own an atv or two besides the 4-8 tractors they own. Was wondering what you have and what you have owned and why you did or did not like them.

I am looking USED 5-10 years old for Ice fishing ect...

Thanks, Mark

I have a 2001 Polaris Trailboss 325 4x2. It's not the biggest and baddest atv but I have ran it through 12" deep snow and big drifts and a deep creek and I have NEVER gotten the thing stuck. It's very reliable, all I have changed is the oil, battery a few times and the starter. Great on fuel. I have pulled a 5x10 landscaping trailer with a small load of firewood through the woods with no problems.... I've seen 325's run anywhere from $800 to $1600 around here depending on the year and condition. STAY AWAY from the Chinese atv's! Honda, Polaris, Can-am, Suzuki, Yamaha are the way to go. Polaris atv's are made in Canada.

Just my two cents worth sm01

Dan

Am looking at a prairie in the am. Was worried it might be on the small side for my big frame. Not looking to go fast but want reliable and easy to work on. Will stay away from china stuff as there is a reason that they are inexpensive!

I run an old 1988 Honda Fourtrax 300 (4X2)and I love it. It is not fast or pretty but it's still fun and is very reliable, is shaft drive, and has an automatic clutch with 4 gears plus reverse. Low gear is very slow which gives it lots of pulling power and it even fits easily in the back of my 6.5' truck bed with the tailgate closed.

Dan

2008 Rhino 450 -- reliable, affordable side-by-side...

10334943105_138ed5a7a2_c.jpg[/url]

id="left">

Use it on the "farm" for all kinds of chores, plus an occasional trail riding venture. Hauls 400 lbs and tows 1200 lbs.

2009 Polaris Sportsman 400, here. A 455 cc engine crammed into a little Hawkeye frame. It's a little hard to work on, but nimble to get around the farm, and far more power than I need.

Recreative Industries Max II 6 wheel amphibious. It has plusses and minuses. It will go through almost anything except deep snow (unless you run tracks). It's great for ice fishing because it floats. You can cross water with it. Great pulling power too. Downside is I find it a challenge to work on because everything is down inside of the tub. Not much to do to it though. I've had it for 9 years and it's been reliable.

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Always wanted to play on a 6 wheeler for a day...looks like a blast!

id="quote">
id="quote">They're fun to drive. Basically a skid steer T-20 transmission in the RI brand. You can lock up one side and spin the thing for some really tigt manuvering. Because you sit inside of it, you can run over brush, bushes and small trees. Ground clearance is a problem with over 8" of snow but they do make tracks for them. With those, they are pretty much unstoppable. Here's a vid of some in mud.

I have a 1993 Suzuki LT-F250 4X2. Mostly use it to drag deer out with or to setup my hunting blind. Needs the carb rebuilt & some other work but gets the job done.

Tim