Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bowhunt4life

Stuck Screws

bowhunt4life

I have a hydrolift on the workbench. There are four screws that screw into the side of the pump.

I can't get the bottom two to budge. I don't want to strip the heads so any suggestions besides heat and pb blaster?

HubbardRA

I have one of the hand impact wrenches that you hit with a hammer. It seems to work very well in getting stuck screws out. This is especially true with phillips head screws, since the blow of the hammer also forces the philips bit into the screw harder. Helps keep from stripping out the heads.

B10Dave

Chris; you need an impact driver. Uses screwdriver bits and small sockets etc. Single smack on the end with a hammer loosens most tight screws. Used a lot by motorcycle mechanics...Dave

bowhunt4life

I do have a impact wrench. So I should put a head on it the will work in the flathead screws and just knock it a bit then use the cordless drill on low speed?

B10Dave

Chris. The impact Rod and I are talking about is a hand held unit. The bit or socket goes on an end that looks like a 3/8 drive ratchet. You insert the bit into the screw head, turn the unit in the direction you want to move the screw and smack the other end with a hammer. This action moves the screw enough that you can then use a normal screwdriver...Dave

imagesCACOCNKF.jpg

208EPIT.jpg

imagesCACOCNKF.jpg.cf1a2bc79df25e94d6e92ab46d304b61.jpg

208EPIT.jpg.9d1e7a5343c2df18669b83a837eade62.jpg

B10Dave
:D:D Josh; I bought the Snap On kit [second pic] 42 years ago. Price then was about $60. Today they sell exact same unit in the cheapie blow mold plastic box for $264. Mine still works as new....Dave

CleanBee

I also use those impact drivers. Make sure you secure the pump into a vise or back in the tractor. Also clean the slots out well and use a tight fitting driver bit.

On some screws, mostly small longer steel in aluminum, I would recommend drilling the head off to separate the parts. Then use blaster, soak the threads, and use a vice grip near the base and work in jerking motion slowly increasing pressure back and forth. The impact driver may snap the screw off at the base, and then you are left with a steel screw in an aluminum housing, not fun.

As a mechanic we used to challenge each other on getting stuck things out without breaking. I would be able to get manifold studs out that were litterally pencil lead thin shafts, was fun to do up in areas of no access.

Dan

GLPointon

Ditto...these work the BEST for stuck screws. and cheap!

quote:Originally posted by B10Dave

Chris. The impact Rod and I are talking about is a hand held unit. The bit or socket goes on an end that looks like a 3/8 drive ratchet. You insert the bit into the screw head, turn the unit in the direction you want to move the screw and smack the other end with a hammer. This action moves the screw enough that you can then use a normal screwdriver...Dave

imagesCACOCNKF.jpg

208EPIT.jpg

id="quote">
id="quote">

littlemarv

If you frequently run into stripped screw heads, buy a tube of valve grinding compound. Put a dab on the screwdriver tip and you will be amazed at how it grips!

The best stuff has diamond grit in it or something like that.

AC_B-1Novice

Willy, that is what the meeting of the old timers iron people came up with as the winner for loosening stuck screws, bolts and much of anything else at one of their yearly get togethers. It won hands down...

Just be careful as it is very flammable. Acetone at one time was fingernail polish remover. I bought a gallon of it long time ago and still have nearly half of it yet. It works.

Willy

I belong to the AMVET's honor guard, we use M1's most

of the time but we also have 1903's us old timers prefer.

Firing blanks carbons them up pretty bad I use the

trans fluid acetone mix to cut the carbon. I take the

wood stock off first as it will remove finish also.

It sometimes hard to convince the young folks.:D:D