Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tripleguy

Manual spout rotator rod length?

tripleguy

Did the Simplicity blowers come with different length spout rotator rods? My blower has a 48" rod which is OK without a cab, but with a cab, it could stand to be 14" or so longer so it fits inside the cab. The angle of the stand-off bracket would need to be changed as well. I could just stick my arm through the opening in the canvas and turn it but a longer one would work better. Anyone fab one so it's longer? Maybe even some way to lengthen the rod using a socket U-joint or similar?

steve-wis

The couplings were made from 3/4 dia. 303 stainless steel, some leftover material from work. I drilled and reamed a 1/2 inch hole thru, and used two 1/4 inch set screws in each one. The shafts have flats ground on them for the set screws to go against.

The shim job was temporary, I now have the rod supported with an eye bolt inside the cab and it is not hooked to the blower at all any more. This allows me to raise and lower the blower without the rod going up and down inside the cab. It does slide forward and back about 5 or 6 inches but doesn't interfere with the lift lever any more. After this winter, I have an electric lift kit I will put on this tractor.

Steve