Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tamurmueen

Simplicity walk behind tractor front hitch

Talntedmrgreen

Tamur, they were always the same. My '37 Wards Culti-cutter was the first walk behind built by Simplicity, and uses the very same quick hitch as the very last Simplicity walk behind.

Talntedmrgreen

Actually, I believe the Wards Midland's have the same hitch setup. At least the ones I have seen online do.

A Simplicity Wards will have a model number begining with "SIM-xxxxx", while a Midland, "MID-xxxxx". They built them concurrently with many of the Simplicity built units, and it's my understanding that they shared attachments. Most, if not all, of the Midland built units are identifiable by the handlebars and controls, which look very different than the Simplicity built units, when sitting side by side.

Of course, considering that Simplicity built these for Wards, spanning 30 years, there are likely exceptions. There may even be gaps in production where Simplicity didn't manufacture them...I'd like to better understand that relationship. My guess is, Simplicity would bid on the business every few years before their contract expired, and probably didn't always win the walker business.

I'd also like to know if Simplicity ever built them for anyone else...or perhaps components for other brands. I know that became common later, post-walk behind era.

tamurmueen

So, it has finally made it home!

Got it from a man, whose father bought it new in 1947.

Attached are the photos.

Ran two years ago.

Any thoughts on how to go about preparing it for a trial start?

Waiting for the arrival of the Log and Brush Cutter attachment, to see if it fits the hitch (pictured below).

tamurmueen

What book is that? Sounds interesting.

I tried cranking it over. Everything turns freely, and there is no rust, but no cough or sputter. I guess I will begin taking it apart, and learning to fix engines!

B-16_IC

Is that sitting in your house?:o

It is a nice looking little number, those knobby tires are sure cute. I see the block had a window at one time and was repaired which in my opinion gives it character. Getting the ignition firing again will probably require pulling the flywheel. Just remember to not force anything, patience is a hot commodity working on those little buggers. Those mighty 2" bore Briggs are some of the smoothest, sweetest running engines ever produced.;)

tamurmueen

Thank you. Will remove the flywheel tomorrow and see if I can clean up the magneto, etc. Yes, it is in the parlor. Good looking enough so my wife is willing to consider it as art! Plus the shop is so cold!

B10Dave

dOddOd Nice catch Tamur. The block repair does indeed give it "charactor". That repair is probably decades old as very few would know how to or want to try that today. Cleaning points and getting spark back probably will see it running again....Dave