Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

12hp vs 16hp

bowhunt4life

I am debating swapping a 12hp for a 16hp in my B212. Why? I am planning on putting a my 38" HD tiller on the B212.

I am not sure if the 12hp will have enough umph to power the tiller. What do you folks think? Is the 12hp enough or am I better off swapping in a 16hp engine?

I welcome your thoughts on this.

Chris

Chris, I just this fall added extensions to my 36" tiller, so it is now closer to 48". My 13hp powered 2110 had more than enough ooph to handle the widened tiller. I would think a 12 would be quite comfortable running your tiller, unless it's a mosquito fogger! I'd say run it and if your not happy with it put the 16 in.

speedtil.jpg

3/4 to full speed according to the operators manual for the tiller. 12hp will be plenty, but you can tell the difference between a 12hp and 16hp when running a 42" snow blower.

speedtil.jpg.c6373f912cca0eaccd4f62335f01da36.jpg

I've never felt a tiller pulled hard on an engine. I do all my tilling with 10's, and they have plenty of power left for more tines in the ground. I do prefer high rpm though. The 36" tillers make flour out of soil in one pass, with low ground speed and high rpm, plus, there's never any cooling concerns. I feel the tiller works far less, when it's turning fast. Simplicity did a nice job when they designed their machines for this chore.

Chris, for years I tilled with a Big Ten with hi-lo. It handled it just fine in either range. I now use an ugly 3212 with mostly AC yellow sheet metal. The biggest differance is now I have a six speeed from 7016 in it. This is much easier to change ranges. I am running between 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

I'm with Josh, a tiller does not use much horsepower. The only attachment that uses hp is either a deck in thick grass or a snowthrower. Tillers, not so much.

Yup...a loaded blower or mower deck will pull hard on even the 16's. Looking forward to trying that on the T-16 this week...should have a foot or better ont he ground by Friday they say.

I did find a machine that a loaded down, leaf mulching deck won't bog down though (even with the vac going too). The 7790 makes my deck beg for mercy...I love it, till I start to smell burning belts. 666

I don't know where you fellows are tilling or what type of soil you have but where I'm located one can never have too much HP when using a tiller especially when you want to till at maximum depth.My 40HP

Allis Chalmers 5040 diesel has all it wants and then some with a 5ft

King Kutter tiller,my Craftsman FF 18 with a 4ft PTO driven tiller has come up short on power when tilling at maximum depth.I use an AC

710 with a 36" tiller to cultivate between the rows at about 2 inches deep,I'd be forever working the garden up with it.Also if you're tilling in cover crops that calls for extra horses under the hood.

Thanks for the input. I am going to try the 12hp this spring and the 38" HD tiller when I till up my clover plot for the deer and replant.

I'll be looking for a 16hp if one pops up.

Thanks,

Chris

Tiller usually stop(belts slips) before engine bogs.

quote:The 7790 makes my deck beg for mercy...I love it, till I start to smell burning belts. id="quote">
id="quote">

You know it. Maybe I can get the 42 inch blower to bog down my 920H.}:)

Originally posted by mikeman

Tiller usually stop(belts slips) before engine bogs.

quote:
id="quote">I've seen a youtube video of this from a member (or previous member), of his 7790 boggin with a 42" blower and rollin coal, but I always figured that long belt would suffer or slip first. Wish I could find that now.

Having just cleared my immediate block with my HB112(16hp) this year and the 64LL last year on the same 42" later model blower but 12hp, there is a difference but the 12 does not scream inadequate by any stretch. The 9 and 10hp did have some lack by comparison. On the 42" deck the 12hp has never had a sense of bogging where the belts would have supported more torque. Not sure on the 48"(still rebuilding that).

I till using a 620 with a 48" tiller and a Ariens GT17 with a 48" tiller just as deep as they will go they do not work while tilling. The 620 is a lot better in hard dry soil and power is not an issue.

Keep in mind some of the early walk behinds with tines as big in diameter as the mounted ones but only 20-24 inches wide were handled quite handsomely by a measely 3-1/2 HP Briggs without its governor barely being ruffled.:D

I forgot to mention in my earlier post, along with others; I have never used my tiller in unworked soil. I always plow it first with moldboard plow, that will make a big differance in power use.