Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starter/generator/regulator

nelra2000

I'm back with a new problem, different tractor. Allis 716 Briggs, off/on key switch, push button start. My starter works fine but when engine starts, amp gauge goes to minus side. I've changed regulators and SG, gauge, but problem persists. I've checked with wiring diagragms and all is correct. I've read the forums several times. One confusing thing is that some say to polarize the regulator, others say it's not needed, when starting, it will automatically polarize itself. Can someone clarify this? Just tonight, I've installed a tested, working, matching SG and regulator off a B-112. Same problem. Any suggestions?

With a voltmeter, attach leads to battery and with voltage switched to DC, start engine and then observe voltage on meter. If voltage increases system is functioning OK and leads on ameter are switched.

Correct me if I'm wrong, wire from bat. on regulator goes to + on gauge. I'll check the suggestions when I get back home again after work. Thanks guys.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while. Problem solved. I'm 65, Dad's 88. Old self-taught mechanic. He says the wire from bat. on regulator has to go to - side of gauge. I switched it and all works well. I've got 3 schematic printouts all showing wire to + side. I watched a youtube video, tech says wire to + side of gauge. I've been somewhat irritated with info. I do realize a couple of you said check with meter, if whatever (?) ocurs, swap wires on gauge. No mention of + or - side. I should have just done that sooner instead of being afraid of frying some electrical component. I'm updating my subscription bc I have repeatedly gotten excellent info here and it's just a great club with lotsa members, photos, info, and shared interests. Thanks all.