Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Transmission Shift Fork Adjustments

jsarro

I am beginning to reassemble my 3 spd variable spd transmission from a 3112V. I have some questions on the shift fork adjustments and settings. I have read the manual several times but could use some feedback to make sure I have the bases covered and am doing it right.

I have checked the stem measurement per the manual, it looks accurate at 5/8" from the rod.

The roll pins are measuring the right length also, however the slot on the cover side roll pin is facing up, not down as the manual states. Should I fix this? if so, how do I do it, as it did not turn with firm pressure from pliers? If the roll pin length was not accurate, how would you change that also?

I checked the 2 allen set screws on the outside of the case for the shift forks shafts, and they were tight. I did not remove the forks, so I assume they should be fine. The manual shows the set screw going into a divot on each shift fork shaft, so these do not seem adjustable per say. They just need to have the set screw into the divot. Is that right?

If I change the 2 seals on the shift rod at the top of the case, is the best and only way to do this, to remove the shift rod stem and then the rod, pop the new seals in, and then slide the greased oiled rod back through both seals in the case, and then reset and measure the shift stem to 5/8" from the rod?

Thanks for the help!