Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joelk

20HP, Shaft Drive - What could stop this?

joelk

Darn, I must have let my subscription lapse again, otherwise you would see the chain from my right rear tire jammed into the blower of my Sunstar.

Anyway the weak link was the drive chain. I would think I could get a new master link somewhere. Does anyone know where I can find one in the Milwaukee area. Model #1690982, it doesn't list the master link as a part number, just the complete chain. The Simplicity dealer didn't have anything that fit, but suggested Fleet Farm. Any ideas, let me know.

rich_kildow

Farm and Fleet or Fleet Farm in the farm section. ACE, Hardware Hank, any other hardware store with the pull out bins full of misc hardware pieces.

On a side note, I always dream about having that entire aisle in my garage.

Ronald Hribar

You are talking about the drive chain on the side of the blower

NOT the chain from your rear tire ?

I seem to remember when i changed gear sizes that it was an odd size

Someone was just doing the same thing, maybe he will remember the chain size

acfarmer

If its breaking a lot go to an Industrial Supplier as chain is like belts there are different grades and an Industrial Supplier is the place to buy the best.Farm stores and the like usually carry the cheap stuff.

joelk

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the help. I went to Fleet Farm and they had the #40 connecting links, but the chain on my blower is double strand chain. Can I use two of these single wide (correct pitch) or do I need to get a connecting link for a double strand chain.

Acfarmer - I'm glad it broke as something had to give. Nothing else seems to be damaged, so that's the good news.

Ronald Hribar - Talking about the chain on the side of the blower, but the chain on my tire was what I sucked into the blower to cause the problem. Got some new rubber bungees today as well so hopefully they won't fall off again.