Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

So many manuals!!!

dhoadley

My friend has been trying to guide me along in my small engine ownership/repair education and said I should get a "factory repair manual". Which one!? CE8069 is a vintage 1919-1981 and looks like it would include some of what I have (B&S - 3 broadmoors, Simp 4108, Little Wonder leafblower; Kohler - A/C 414s; Tecumseh - 1974 Ariens snowblower) but it's pretty expensive where I've been able to find it at all. Ebay has hundreds on auction, but there are dozens of varieties. Any input and guidance is greatly appreciated. Confusedly, Davesm00

Why, you have the best manual you could ever get right here ;):D

Seriously, CE 8069 is a good book, and the same basic principles apply to later engines too.

For a complete novice, I think item specific books would be better, more in depth for each unit, but that can get expensive, and every time you get a new machine you need a new book.

You can get manuals that cover a range of products, ie. The Small Frame repair Manual, would cover all your broadmoors.

I'm not familiar with the Little Wonder leaf blower, is that a 2 stroke engine? (totally different beast, different principles)

Bottom line is you need to figure out how much ability / knowledge you have, and how much instruction do you need?

Sounds to me like you need at least 4 books, Briggs, Techumseh, Kohler, and 2 cycle, each covering "general" repair.

It's hard for me to suggest something specific, I've been a mechanic of some sort so long I rarely use books, I just look at something and figure it out.

My best suggestion to start with would be one book, like the briggs book above. Study the book, alongside an engine, and if it all makes sense and you understand how it works, then Kohler and Techumseh are pretty much the same. Parts may look different, or be in different places, but they work on all the same basic principles.

Alot of manuals are available on line or on disc. This type of format is a giant space saver as you can just print out the pages you need to take to your workshop. I hate to say it but I myself have purchased vintage OEM manuals that were too nice to mess up in my garage.

Whatever you decide to buy, this may be one thing to consider before you buy. Ebay is an excellent source for almost every manual you can imagine.

Best of luck.

quote:Originally posted by rokon2813

I'm not familiar with the Little Wonder leaf blower, is that a 2 stroke engine? (totally different beast, different principles)

id="quote">
id="quote">The Little Wonder has a 130000 B&S 5hp. I use the internet, and specifically this site, for research but I'm older and prefer paper in my hand when actually working. My mechanical knowledge is long running and spotty. I've rebuilt VW engines from the crank out when I was young and done simple repairs all my life. I can take stuff apart and put it back together ok, but some of the more technical stuff (http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136153) I need some guidance. I guess I'll probably muddle along on my wits and others advice for awhile. I don't have the 50 bucks anyway.Thanx, Dave

Kohler Service manuals are available on the Kohler site, free of charge. They are a complete repair and service manual, including complete detailed instructions on disassembly and reassembly, specifications, etc. I get a bang out of people selling this stuff on flea-bay, when it is available completely free of charge if you know where to look.

Brett, there are guys that print them off at work and send photo copies! LOL. Hey, some just want it handed to them. I agree, if you can't find a manual, how are you going to service a motor! LOL