Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A Quest for a Landlord DLX, and found an Agco

Burntime

Well, my DLX sold and mysteriously I can across a 1720H in incredible shape with an aerated blocksm00 It has a 54 inch deck, snowthrower, and under 200 hours. Well, I just had to have it! I think the prior owner spent more time waxing it then using it! Now, I have the toy and no vroom!:(! I stumbled upon a Regent with an 18hp vanguard. The 18 and 20hp are the same. The 18 just has a smaller carb, I have a 20hp carb...check! The 18hp also has exhaust restrictors placed in the port. I can remove them...check! Now to pick er clean!

1720H 2 small.jpg

regent b4 small.jpg

regent hull small.jpg

vanny small.jpg

I putzed and pulled it apart on and off today. Tomorrow is repower day! The kids had a blast with me! Best of all, this new vanny is well under 200 hours. Probably closer to 100. At 0 degrees it popped right off and ran with the choke off immediately. I am a kohler guy, but hey, this will do for now.:D

57e05900eb7ee_regentb4small.jpg.a1b975e19f27c91cb74a77726c8e852a.jpg

57e059010dfa6_regenthullsmall.jpg.6718e1317fdff042daa466c3e1c4bc8b.jpg

57e05901a0ffd_vannysmall.jpg.6e4bb07f261b42f6293933dc41e83044.jpg

I have seen tractors that look brand new on the outside but underneath the hood was not as looked after.Glad you was able to bring it back to life.That Vanguard is a smooth engine..

That's the funny thing. Guy had service records and it was taken care of. He had a book with oil changes and receipts. Sometimes when its time, its time.

I'm not knocking the briggs...the old one did it on its own!:D It does seem to be a really smooth quiet motor. I just like the rock and roll and Harley sound of the kohler. Its what I know. Hopefully it is a tit for tat thing. Either way I have one. I know Ray raves about his Honda in the sovereign.

Well, I may get a chance to repower today! Of course we got an inch and a half of snow again. I want my wheels back! LOL.:D

Well, found a little free time to convert the two motors. A lot of dinking around. Linkages had to be switched along with carbs, intakes, etc. Got a late start on it and ran out of daylight but got pretty far. So others can see, I took a pic of the single barrel 18hp carb, 2 barrel 20hp carb, and the two motors sitting next to each other. I just have to pull the exhaust restrictors in the 18 and then replace the shrouds...

18 small.jpg

20 small.jpg

pair small.jpg

57e05f93ce791_18small.jpg.9a6bfa9712bb383fc71d8bca2ee3751b.jpg

57e05f93e3ad6_20small.jpg.f217ed931f6ee832ce754268bdc107d6.jpg

57e05f9402f9d_pairsmall.jpg.e609fb6d2424a90bd4f71f59cc5b99cb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm late to this thread, but I posted last Summer regarding a Landlord DLX and a bad engine in it. That engine was an 18 hp Vanguard. I found a 14 hp Vanguard from a Broadmoore and without a doubt, was the easiest engine swap I have ever done on any garden tractor - regardless or make or model.

So far, the 14 hp handles the 50 inch deck with ease, but the bottom side main seal is leaking so that will be a winter fix-it project.

Just curious - why did you part with your DLX?

Thanks!

Bill

quote:Originally posted by leeave96

I'm late to this thread, but I posted last Summer regarding a Landlord DLX and a bad engine in it. That engine was an 18 hp Vanguard. I found a 14 hp Vanguard from a Broadmoore and without a doubt, was the easiest engine swap I have ever done on any garden tractor - regardless or make or model.So far, the 14 hp handles the 50 inch deck with ease, but the bottom side main seal is leaking so that will be a winter fix-it project.Just curious - why did you part with your DLX?Thanks!Bill

id="quote">
id="quote">Cash is king:D.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Jac
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts