Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carburetor "icing" Briggs 10hp

donmoore1904

We had temps in the mid 20's, and a fine wet snow was falling. I wanted to get the first 4 inches off, in anticipation of more snow and some freezing rain.

After only 10 or 15 minutes, my engine went to full throttle. I had this happen once a few years ago, and I recall it was again during wet precipitation and below freezing temps.

I tried manipulating the cam with the idle screw back and forth, and it didn't solve the problem - pretty much sped *up* the engine, and couldn't get it back to an idle. The carb ignored where I had the throttle lever set and pretty much decided what it wanted to do. Either real fast operation, or near idle until I hit the cam. Occasionally normal speed.

I plowed for an hour that way (frustrating) and put it away in an unheated garage. The temps rose to around freezing, and when I went back to do more plowing there was freezing rain falling. I plowed for an hour in freezing rain and the throttle worked fine. My guess was that since the temperature had risen, something that was frozen became unbound.

Any clue of what this might be? Thanks in advance. Oh, my tweaking of mixture definitely improved starting and reduced stumbling. Didn't prevent this from happening though.

This kit will take care of it. The condensation freezes on carb and in it as well as the throttle shaft and linkages.http://www.ebay.com/itm/10605-Simplicity-Allis-Chalmers-deflector-winter-heat-shield-NOS-1652179-/171186812476?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27db87763chttp://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/heCBEN8aoJ2rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq.pdfhttp://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/jgEBGP_dyO1tG5EPa7mRgtLvBCd6.pdf

winz.jpg

winz.jpg.a030d61322b49332e015ed87287a65b8.jpg

Chuck, that is my listing on ebay.

I only have the large part, not the small deflector or the gas cap.

I will have to check, but though only 1 is listed, I think I have 3 :D

Nope, sold at the last swap meet, only 1 left, sorry guys

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

What's the deal on the special gas cap? How does the cap prevent carb icing?

id="quote">
id="quote">The gas cap that came with the winterizing kit replaced the original plastic one that had the gauge built in. The one in the winterizing kit was a metal cap, without gauge, but with covers over the center vent hole to prevent moisture from blown and melted snow from being sucked into the tank while you blew snow...

Ha. I was imagining some kind of protective device. And there you go. The linkages/springs next to the engine seemed free, up until where the attachment to the idle cam/screw is on the back side. While in trouble, moving the throttle lever resulted in no movement at all of the cam, which I believe is not normal.

My gas cap has the cover missing and the gauge is gone, leaving a nice hole there and easy path into the tank. (I gotta take care of that too) The cap shown is on the other end of the spectrum from where I'm at.

You guys have a lot of knowledge - thanks for the replies.

Unless you are picky about how it looks, its not really necessary to get the OEM cover. From my experience, you just need something to keep the snow away from the carb. I can't find it but remember a post with someone who just threw a heavy rug over the hood of the tractor and let it hang down over the carb.

Last thing I expected to see when I checked tonight was to see more on this thread. Good stuff - that is a honey of a home brew cover Rod.

We had a dry snow yesterday - I intentionally waited until it stopped, and I had no problem at all. These home brew ideas sound good - I was looking at the side of the motor and thought the winterizing "kit" was a bit over the top. They could have just engineered it right the first time. Oops, I complained about my tractor.

I *have* some old area rugs. Awesome idea, with close to 0 labor involved. I am going with that next time I am plowing in cold weather and precipitation.