Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First Snow

rsnik

The storm was the evil kind. Five inches of snow and then it rained on it for hours and then the temp dropped to 20. A real mess to clean up and if you don't get done in time it all turns to concrete. I windrow the snow with the Simplicity 18 hydro into a row and then scoop up the wet glop and haul it to a dump pile with the Bobcat. Heavy stuff. Takes way more time to haul it off than to windrow it.

WntrStrm 001.JPG

WntrStrm 003.JPG

WntrStrm 006.JPG

WntrStrm 010.JPG

57e0590206f01_WntrStrm001.JPG.e223167d087bb53a88ee1357e5a17df9.JPG

57e0590220a79_WntrStrm003.JPG.6d253f06f08e2673e49df5ce58ecd91c.JPG

57e0590232813_WntrStrm006.JPG.4f3a177de63e8d74114b4613c41cf80c.JPG

57e059024356c_WntrStrm010.JPG.3d2b462cba4c11dbf397703c172344ae.JPG

We got 12 inches of light to medium overnight until 1pm here in Maine. The last couple of hours was sleet and it was 15 degrees all day. brrrr. Not bad plowing but pretty much maxed out my 3314. She moved thru it but struggles when she gets too big a head to push. So you guys got the crummy stuff! yuck.

I'm not sure how much we got in Western suburbs of Phila, 4-5 inches I think. I live on a shared driveway with some sizable parking lots off of it, and cleared it all twice, as snow kept falling. I was out there for close to 3 hours until the freezing rain finally got to be too much for me. This was my first time out with the 46" plow. It was easy plowing for the tractor and I had no issues with traction even with bare turfs - until the ice hit, anyway. I noticed that the remote angle mechanism would get stuck sometimes; the bushing on the little triangle seems loose so the whole triangle would wobble, sometimes causing the rod that connects from the triangle to the "tooth" that engages the angle detents to hit the top of the pivot pin. Is this a common issue and are there any easy fixes?

Gordon, there is an easy fix. Get off the tractor, yank the blade around to the angle desired, push the tooth into the detente to lock in that angle, get back on the tractor, continue plowing.

This method is traditionally not spoken of and typically done when nobody's looking as it does not require the traditional bleach and a bigger hammer. :D&:)

Marty,

I am right on the ocean here and in the cross hairs of arctic, sub zero express trains colliding with huge hot, wet, air masses coming up the coast from the Florida area.

Some time back in January we had a back to back Nor'easter and blizzard with the usual snow/rain freeze with three feet of snow. All the rain on deep snow followed by 20 degrees created a thick glacier on the long driveway. I put the heavy construction bucket with the big *ss heavy 6 inch teeth on the Bobcat and ripped in and prized up slabs like thick concrete only it's half blue ice on the bottom.

Did you sell out on the Fireweed honey? That was amazing stuff. Best I ever tasted.