Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New member of the "Royal Court"

GrincheyOne

Well today the PO delivered another working '90 4212LTG w/ 36" mower deck. It joins my 4212 "Field Queen" as a parts backup. Zippo Named this one the "Jester"! I hope to use the transaxle in the '88 4212. I also have a 1692040 Blower hitch to install on the Queen! Once I scan them, I have copies of the original papers for the "Jester"!Here it is just before I braved the 26* weather to remove the mower deck.

Dscn0732.jpg

Just scanned the Cover of the Original Owners Manual...

Ops_manual.jpg

And the Product Warranty card (original buyers name/address removed)If NSA can do it why can't I?

REGISTRATION_CARD.jpg

Thought I would add a scan of the back of this card...

back_of_registration.jpg

The second paragraph was my deciding factor to post this...

Dscn0732.jpg.e454fe55bedac17f7611b0cce21e630d.jpg

Ops_manual.jpg.6692df1f1a5e881a08dc0a3f4ffc5f6c.jpg

REGISTRATION_CARD.jpg.45f8d63be90cd4d88ef9301b09c7dee1.jpg

back_of_registration.jpg.b5456f4a9f27cee1e3f9ff9599ce3bec.jpg

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

As I have said before...great little machines that cut AWESOME!

id="quote">
id="quote">Yes they do Mark! Great for tight landscape, such as I have with 11 acres of trees. Almost turns as tight as a Z-turn.Wayne

Wednesday, I started the engine on the '88 4212 ((Queen) to keep the battery up, and moisture out of the engine. Tried to start the '90 (Jester) for the same reason, and only got a clicking sound from the solenoid, tried a hotshot from a spare battery with the same results. had to jumper the main external contacts on the solenoid to energize the starter. Charged the so called "new" battery overnight.Thursday, repeated the same starting work-around to move the Jester to my outside work area, which I had just cleaned the ice and snow from. Then i continued to remove the rear wheels, preparing to transfer the transaxle to the Queen. Thus leaving the '90 4212 on jack stands.**

Dscn0733.jpg

and there it will stay until I repair the transaxle from the Queen.Friday I plan to transplant the transaxle.It is forecast to be the start of the "heat wave", and be up to 48*. Just before the 3 days of rain to follow, with temps in the 60s on Sunday!** removing the rear wheels, I noticed nearly 1/8" of end play in the LH axle shaft (LH main ball bearing, or play in the differential cage?)Cheers,Wayne[/i]

Dscn0733.jpg.6d9cef8e8b322cbcb2951ef12559f0b3.jpg

Friday - Turned out belonging to my GF!;) (We all have our own priorities)

Saturday -I found the Jester off His jack stands. The 57* weather and rain; softened the ground under the stands So today's job turned into getting the rear of the tractor high enough to get a floor jack under the draw bar. That said the jack stands were reset onto of a piece of scrap plywood for stability. Now with a 30-60% chance of rain for two days, it looks like time to work on some tire and rim tasks (under roof).

Wayne

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

Nice find Wayne dOdGlad to see the "Grinch" got himself a christmas gift ;)

id="quote">
id="quote">Not too bad in a resource lean area where I am! $175 w/ 36" deck, and delivered to my driveway to-boot! A rebuilt transaxle would have run about $150 (plus 6% sales tax! OH, and I get a spare 12 HP I/C engine.here's alittle seasonal greeting 4 U Greg!http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=137281

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Mike

I'd be in a tee shirt at 26 degrees, we are finally getting warmer around here

id="quote">
id="quote">NewYears found me getting the PeerLESS out of the"Jester", Zippo does not know how appropriate that nickname is. The transaxle was apparently replaced at some time in the history of this tractor. (Mounting hardware) does not match factory hardware). Wish it were 26* again! We are supposed to be down to about 0* F tonight!Looks like I will get one day before Monday to put this transaxle in the "Queen", and get rid of the 6" of snow in the drive, after clearing a space to work out there.sm02Wayne

Looks like today turned into that one work day! Not a very welcoming workspace however. First task was to clear about 6" of that "white icing", and wake up the Queen for about 15 minutes, while I put down some plywood and cardboard to work on. Started by removing the original drive belt, while the transaxle was out, had to remove the idler pulley (which seems defective). within the following seven hours, I found it easier to lower the tractor, rather than raise the transaxle into place. Got 6 of the 8 mounting screws back in place, before I had to clean up the tools, etc. By then my toes were burning from the cold.

Dscn0745.jpg

That's the '69 Landlord under the white tarp in the background (another project). I hope to finish the transaxle, and drive belt today, maybe "borrow" the idler pulley from the Jester, whose drive belt is ready to give up the ghost. all this depends on the freezing rain we are supposed too see from 6 to 11 AM.Wayne

Dscn0745.jpg.39e86eb398b4c12ba677b46b84ddad86.jpg

Although they missed their window, Most of the rain stayed south of us, as it moved up the coast. So later in the afternoon, I got to remove the drive belt idler on the Jester, and a chance to see how really bad the drive belt was. The chaffing was nominal, but the cracks will retire it for sure. The pulley is not too bad, and still has some time ahead on the Queen, along with a new drive belt.dOd

Wayne