Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Bushman

Sunstar 42" blower gear box dripping

Bushman

I have Sunstar 16hp and have a 42" single stage blower on it. The blower was used very little before I bought it recently and is clean as I could hope for used. Before using the unit I topped off the 80-90 and noticed a vent plug mounted in the oil fill plug. While running the blower I noticed oil drips here and there. Do the vents ever leak? I do not see any leaking in the garage now but, maybe its dry now from dripping out?

joelk

According to the manual, that vent plug should be installed (on top). You said you topped it off, maybe you overfilled it. According to the manual, the blower should be tipped forward onto auger opening with gearbox level (now fill hole is on the side, not top) and oil level will be just to bottom of hole. I haven't checked mine for leaks at vent, so can't say for sure about that.

Bushman

Ha, I missed that part. Thanks, I leveled the box out by raising the blower on the tractor. After greasing the zerks and chain I misread that part about the auger opening or read right through it. I was cold that day.