Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dhoadley

16 hp B&S generator questions (illustrated)

dhoadley

I figured I would post this here because I have pictures and we all love pictures.^ I picked up this 8k portable generator for $100 with a bad starter. B&S 326437 crossed to part #396306. I know this isn't tractor stuff, but you guys know alot about small engine stuff and have been very patient with me as I learn. The starter was out and this wire coming out from behind the flywheel was not connected.

PC210307.JPG

The connector has the white wire clipped tight, and the red wire leads to the regulator.

PC210308.JPG

The red wire was disconnected when I got it. Where does it attach?

PC210310.JPG

Now, about the starter itself.

PC210311.JPG

The lead is on the wrong side and the spring mechanism is different. The gear and mounting plate and housing are the same. Are these differences important or no? Thanx again, guys. Dave

PC210307.JPG.c88e7ee94988fe16f957782c8693fb65.JPG

PC210308.JPG.dc258bde6b580a6083c516cd37e1cde2.JPG

PC210310.JPG.4712b6857ee213a15324c042b3f5974a.JPG

PC210311.JPG.b86ba7976a3255aacd071fbf23e30d4b.JPG

Tarheel

The red wire should have a diode in it. Hard to tell from the pictures but looks like there is one. Engine side of the connector, fat place under the shrink wrap.

The diode lead would go to the battery positive. The white lead ? I'm thinking would be for running headlights on a mower etc. but a work station light that won't kill your battery would be nice. Only works when the engine is running.

The only way the starter would be a problem is if the power stud would touch something if you mounted the starter. If that is the case, then remove the screws and WITHOUT pulling the starter apart, twist the mounting flange 180 degrees and put the screws back.

All the above are just my opinion. Best wait to see if anyone says otherwise before you take it to the bank.

dhoadley
quote:Originally posted by Tarheel

The only way the starter would be a problem is if the power stud would touch something if you mounted the starter. If that is the case, then remove the screws and WITHOUT pulling the starter apart, twist the mounting flange 180 degrees and put the screws back.

id="quote">
id="quote">I mounted the starter and the wire fell right to it. I think the PO spun the case 180* when he took the case apart to show me what a wreck the inside was.

dhoadley
quote:Originally posted by Tarheel

The red wire should have a diode in it. Hard to tell from the pictures but looks like there is one. Engine side of the connector, fat place under the shrink wrap. The diode lead would go to the battery positive.

id="quote">
id="quote">So the red wire goes to the lower most post on the regulator? (3rd pic) This is where the battery positive is. 2nd post from the top is empty. Is this correct? Thanx, Dave

Tarheel

As already stated, the pic is of a solenoid. The solenoid takes the heavy cable from the starter and the battery and breaks the connection. When you turn the key, The solenoid brings the two cables together so the starter motor turns the engine. Until someone made the first solenoid/relay, Machines used heavy push button starter switches. The amps for a starter motor would fry your key switch in a second so the key switch makes the solenoid work.

The red wire needs to connect to the cable that goes straight back to battery + terminal. This is a big cable but not on the side that goes to the starter. (Guessing it to be the lower one but can't really tell from your pictures.) If in doubt, Make the red wire longer and go all the way to the battery and hook it to the positive + post.

Sign in to follow this