Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hi - low problem

ac712

okay guys here's my problem. I have a 912 6 speed and while mowing or plowing after pushing in the clutch to shift a couple times the tractor wants to drop out of high range into low. it doesn't shift the whole way its only partial shifted keeping my from pushing in the clutch. I bump up on the lever and the clutch will engage. The tractor runs fine its just rather annoying.

You need to follow the adjustment proceedure exactly in the manual. It cant "slide" out of range without clutch being depressed if adjusted correctly. the pc that slides side to side to move the idler pulley has a notch in it to prvent sideways movement unless clutch is depressed. So I'm not sure how that can happen before being de-clutched...

if you dont have the adjustment proceedure I'm someone can send it to you...or I can when I get home tomarrow. if needed just PM me sm01

I've only monkeyed with one 6-speed, and just enough to get a feel for how they operate. The one I had, was not properly adjusted, and that idler was cutting the belts, slowly enough so that you couldn't smell it, but it was working it's way through them.

okay sorry I wrote that wrong... its starting to shift when pushing in the clutch. it actually did it to me this evening. And the clutch pedal is sticking down. As soon as i push the hi/low lever up just a little bit the clutch pedal will come back up. I will have to check the adjustment in the manual. Thanks for the input guys.

Mine will do that too when in need of adjustments. Do you have the owners/service manual w/adjustment proceedure? When the clutch is in, the slide moves part way over, and prevents the pedal from returning (can also make the idler edge cut into the belt like Josh found) sm01