Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Still no charge - Kohler K341

OrangeMetalGuy

Well, I replaced the regulator (I had had one go bad several years ago, and that solved the problem at that time. And the testing indicated a bad regulator). No luck, still won't charge.

Pulled the battery out and unseated the ignition switch connector, and tested the yellow wire running from the bottom of the regulator to the switch. Tested this both with the connector removed and also reinstalled on the switch.

Cleaned up every connection where the regulator mounts to the engine tin... sanded everything and they all have star washers or split lock washers. So I'm sure I have a good ground.

Measure 25-29vac across the stator with the engine revved. Battery voltage reads right about 12v with the engine running revved up a bit and with the regulator plugged in.

I swear the first time I fired it up I saw a bit of a charge (on the ammeter). But it quickly went away and the ammeter continues to read a slight discharge (unless I turn the lights on, then it registers a serious discharge).

Pulled the connector off the regulator again and hooked up my battery tender; it immediately went to a yellow light which indicates that the battery is somewhat discharged.

What am I missing... bad ignition switch? Something wrong with the battery itself (it's one year old)?

Can replacements for the 3-prong female connector that goes on the bottom of the regulator be found somewhere? I would like to replace that just to eliminate that as an issue. But I have checked and I'm certain the connectors are making good contact with the pins (though I did not remove all 3 from the plastic housing and slide them onto the pins one at a time).

BMinor8806

I had a 916H tractor that would not charge for years and it turned out to be a bad ignition switch. I troubleshot everything from the stator back and it all checked out until I replaced the ignition then it charged perfect. May be something to look into.

Brandon

BLT

Connect a piece of jumper wire long enough to go from the regulator B+ to the battery +, and using a voltmeter, with the engine running and see if that improves anything, mainly a jump in voltage. If there's an improvement you can work backwards to see where the problem lies.

OrangeMetalGuy
quote:Originally posted by BLT

Connect a piece of jumper wire long enough to go from the regulator B+ to the battery +, and using a voltmeter, with the engine running and see if that improves anything, mainly a jump in voltage. If there's an improvement you can work backwards to see where the problem lies.

id="quote">
id="quote">That worked fine - thanks for the tip! I got a little spark and measured over 13V with that jumper on the positive terminal of the battery. So that tells me the regulator is doing its job.Removed and cleaned all terminals on the solenoid and replaced the short wire between it and the circuit breaker. Breaker tests out fine.But still no charging (without the test jumper). I need to pull the battery and go in under the dash again.The ignition switch, though it may not be the culprit, is pretty worn anyway and I think I'll just go ahead and replace it (the key wants to turn past the start point). If I remember right the Allis switch is different from the Simplicity correct?

OrangeMetalGuy

You know I noticed the ammeter got moisture inside it during the last snow. I wonder if that would cause it to not allow charging. I'll jump it then if nothing the switch. Thanks for all the help.