Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Solenoid

bowhunt4life

I am picked up this 16hp Briggs, just couldn't resist more power. I plan on putting on a SG and putting in my B212 but prior to installation I am not sure about a starter solenoid. I am aware of the other mods I will need to make but am stuck on the solenoid.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for which solenoid I would need?

20131222_210305_zps361401f5.jpg

20131222_210335_zps3c044ebc.jpg

The individual solenoid is not very critical. I like using the solenoids off older Ford automobiles. I have also used solenoids from the cheap Box Store lawnmowers. A solenoid is just a switch. If it triggers and handles the starter current load, then it should work fine.

Thanks Ray.

I wanted to go back to a stock look. I no zip about electricity and wiring and figured stock would be consistent with my other tractors.

Get the style that RayS recommended as it has a lower profile and less abpt to cause some shorting when the hood is mounted if you're going to mount it where the factory did. There are basically two relay styles, three terminal case grounded and four terminal post grounded and either will work fine for the HB.

This summer I replaced the factory solenoid on my '88 4212, when I found it to be intermittent, and causing the bendix gear to hang up on the ring gear. I used the following as a replacement (Auto Zone.http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Gold-Solenoid-Switch/_/N-9riee?itemIdentifier=184962_0_0_This model is a grounded case One of the small terminals is for accessories.(open when energizing the starter. Last week I found the factory solenoid on my recently acquired '90 4212 to be defective. So I guess this spare (intended to go into the '68 or '69 2110) may be used for a replacement.

Dscn0743.jpg

Hoping U and UR Family had a GR8 Christmas!

Dscn0743.jpg.078e93e86599d3368396e61b3e9c6a87.jpg

On those old Ford type solenoids, the two small post are usually marked S and I. The I post is for by-passing the ignition resistor and suppling full 12V to the coil when the engine is cranking. The S goes to the start post on the ignition switch.

quote:Originally posted by GrincheyOne

This summer I replaced the factory solenoid on my '88 4212, when I found it to be intermittent, and causing the bendix gear to hang up on the ring gear. I used the following as a replacement (Auto Zone.http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Gold-Solenoid-Switch/_/N-9riee?itemIdentifier=184962_0_0_This model is a grounded case One of the small terminals is for accessories.(open when energizing the starter. Last week I found the factory solenoid on my recently acquired '90 4212 to be defective. So I guess this spare (intended to go into the '68 or '69 2110) may be used for a replacement.

Dscn0743.jpg

Hoping U and UR Family had a GR8 Christmas!so far I have used 4 of these with no problems at all. Readily available and a warranty too!

id="quote">
id="quote">