Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shoes or scraper blade

Nubian

Just paid around $80. for my 46" blade. I liked to scrape down to the pavement, but realized that my augers were wearing down on my Toro 1132 so I don't scrape that low anymore. When I went to get shoes they were NLA. Wondering is that going around or are shoes and blades still available for plows and blowers?

Weld a piece of 1/4" X 2" X 2" flat plate to the bottom of each shoe and you can replace that every time it wears out and you won`t ever have to replace the scrapper or the shoes.

If you don't keep up on scraper blade maintenance, you will wear into the auger housing and ruin the strength of the metal. The housing itself will begin to bow and lose its integrity. I have seen what excessive wear can do on numerous blower housings and a new scraper bar will be a waste of money if there is excessive wear.

Shoes are the only way to go.IMO

They didn`t put shoes on them with the intention of running a scrapper blade or bar with ground contact. The shoes are for ground contact. I have bought 46" dozer blades where the PO had the scrapper blade worn out and the back side of the blade worn half way through the carriage bolts. You buy one of those pieces of junk once you will check it out before loading the next one in the back of the truck.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

They didn`t put shoes on them with the intention of running a scrapper blade or bar with ground contact. The shoes are for ground contact. I have bought 46" dozer blades where the PO had the scrapper blade worn out and the back side of the blade worn half way through the carriage bolts. You buy one of those pieces of junk once you will check it out before loading the next one in the back of the truck.

id="quote">
id="quote">Ouch!Just did not unintentionally, put a new scraper on and seems to have lifted blade an inch or more.

quote:Originally posted by RayS

Weld a piece of 1/4" X 2" X 2" flat plate to the bottom of each shoe and you can replace that every time it wears out and you won`t ever have to replace the scrapper or the shoes.

id="quote">
id="quote">Fantastic! Don't know why I didn't think of that, will do. Just have to make sure I put a little bend on them so they don't catch on anything while moving.Thanks

My shoes seem to have a bit too much stress on them - the vertical brace on the back usually splits all the way across. This is with a 42" plow.

The shoes appear to be too small on the blowers I have had or worked on. I like to weld pieces of flat bar onto the bottom of the shoes to make them wider and longer. This spreads the load out over a larger area so they don't dig in so much and really helps with wear. I bend both the front and rear ends of the bar up to keep it from digging in.

The scraper bar on the blowers is designed to scrape off the excess snow so that the rotor can pull the rest of the snow inside the housing to throw it out of the chute. I don't think it was ever meant to scrape on the ground. I always try to set my blower so that the scraper is about an inch off the ground. If I can get the level of the snow that low, then it will melt of very quickly. I don't even mess with any snow less than about 4 inches, because it won't be around long enough to worry about.

My blowers are set with the shoes touching the flat concrete garage floor with 1/8 inch spacers under the scraper bar. My driveway and sidewalks are all concrete, no gravel. I also weld on a pc. of 1/4 X 1 onto the shoes, with the ends bent to match the original shoe.

Steve

I only plow but I run just a cutting edge on my modified case plow. If you have a gravel or dirt drive shoes are nice until everything is frozen solid. Blades are tuff in early winter and spring.

Whether you are plowing/blowing on gravel or concrete/blacktop also makes a difference how you setup.

If I am on blacktop/concrete I setup so the scraper and shoes all contact at the same time. This way the shoes carry the main weight load of the attachment while the scraper clears the ground of snow.

If I am on gravel(like I have been now for 15 years or so) I try and set the shoes slightly lower than the scraper so the scraper does not quite reach the ground. Wears the shoes out faster, but I don't end up carrying so much gravel with the attachment as I use it.

As stated above, I weld 1/4" steel plate to the bottoms of all my shoes when the get worn, and keep doing so as they wear. As long as you don't wait too long , you still have something to weld to.:D

I'm not affiliated with these guys at all, but these things rock!

http://snowblowerskids.com/

They have enough "toe up" in the front to not catch on my apron when blowing towards the garage and they are amazing on gravel. I set my height at 3/4" on my blower and away we go. They have been amazing these last 2 years.