Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Newbie with some questions

Wade

Good afternoon all. I have lurked around this forum for a while now, reading threads and posts by many of the Allis owners here. I registered today with the hope of getting a few questions answered, as I have scoured the simple tractors website, as well as the many links to parts suppliers. Firstly, I own a 608LTD. I've had it for about 14 years now. Good little tractor, particularly for the price I paid for it at the time. Can anyone direct me to a owner and possible service manual?? Secondly, part numbers for a blade and snowthrower. I recently came across a local fellow with the same tractor(with a snowthrower), however, he wouldn't part with just the blower(understandably. There's just not that many around here that I can find anyways. Any help would be greatly appreciated. You guys are pretty darn knowledgeable about these little beasts.

Thank you in advance,

Wade

I picked up some 2 belts and a few other maintenance parts back in the spring from Sandy Lake, nice people!! Could I ask where a lot of you purchase parts for these tractors. Having the parts shipped up to Ontario doesn't seem to be an issue

I buy Simplicity parts local. That way they stay in business when I need another part and they are usually the same price as Jack`s or cheaper. Plus I do not have to pay shipping or wait 3 weeks to get a part. I do buy off eBay if I can get a good deal.

Dave,

Thanks for that info man. I live west of London, so they're not that far away from me. I have done business with Komoka machine shop in the past, not too impressed. Now, if I could just find a snowthrower for it.

Welcome Wade, I'm glad you found this site...best one!

I'm not sure if this area is near you but there are tons of blowers on the link below. For hard-to-find attachments I ask at all the local lawn & garden dealers (many off-brand dealers take them in on trades) and leave your phone # in case they see one. then I check all the craigslist adds in nearby towns every day so I'm the 1st to find it. [only takes 5 mins a day]. then I check E-bay every few days too and of course watch the classified ads here on the club site...Good luck & good hunting dOd

http://kingston.en.craigslist.ca/search/?sort=rel&areaID=385&subAreaID=&query=SIMPLICITY&catAbb=sss

quote:Originally posted by RayS

I buy Simplicity parts local. That way they stay in business when I need another part and they are usually the same price as Jack`s or cheaper. Plus I do not have to pay shipping or wait 3 weeks to get a part. I do buy off eBay if I can get a good deal.

id="quote">
id="quote">I feel the same way about supporting my local dealer. I'd like to keep him eating ground beef however, not filet mignon. Sometimes I feel like I'm sending all his kids to college by myself.

I too prefer buying parts from a dealer, only problem is finding one who knows anything about the older models. Our local dealer doesn't seam to be of much help on anything older than 2000

My local dealer is good, the guys are knowledgable, and their prices are about the same as buying online, after you add the shipping. Nice to have them 5 minutes away. They stock most common stuff, even for the older tractors, and if they need to order it, I can get it next day if I pay shipping, or within a few days if I wait for their regular order, then no shipping.

I called the guy again today about the 608LTD he has with a snowthrower. just to put a bug in his ear about it again. I get the impression he picked it up from someone in some deal, doesn't know squat about it. He wants 600 bucks for the 2, tractor and snowthrower(the only attachment). I offered him 400, was I nuts. I have a guy in the small engine business who would take the tractor. We would trade hoods as mine doesn't have headlights. What do you think guys???

Originally posted by donmoore1904
quote:
id="quote">How you know if he is eating filet mignon or hot dogs:D? It takes money to start and run a business and you won`t stay in business selling at dealer cost.I always check Jack`s on the price of a part I want and my local dealer is always the same price or lower and another local dealer is always a few dollars more for the same part than the other two. I figure they add in the shipping cost they have involved in getting an item delivered to them.

Originally posted by Wade

I called the guy again today about the 608LTD he has with a snowthrower. just to put a bug in his ear about it again. I get the impression he picked it up from someone in some deal, doesn't know squat about it. He wants 600 bucks for the 2, tractor and snowthrower(the only attachment). I offered him 400, was I nuts. I have a guy in the small engine business who would take the tractor. We would trade hoods as mine doesn't have headlights. What do you think Welcome to the club!400 dollars is not to far out of line if your small engine friend is going to give you 250 - 300 for the tractor.:D