Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sorry....it's a 'green' question

wis34

My nephews gave me a JD stx38 for Christmas....kholer command 12.5

it runs great(or appears to) but is spraying an oily gs mixture from the exhaust......Any ideas on where to start looking for trouble? rings or valves is my guess. On a positive note, my Simplicity 7016 is running like a top and throwing snow high in the air!

Most likely the carb - needle and seat or float are bad. Is your oil level way overfull and does it smell like gas? A fuel shut off valve would be the cheap and dirty way to fix it - after an oil change. Otherwise the carb needs to come down or be replaced to prevent the fuel from running right through the carb and filling the crankcase again. Be sure to run 10w30 engine oil in that Command. Tim

Well, so far, yes it does look like the oil was overfull....pulled the valve cover and drained at least a cup of oil out of it. plug was very wet. Going to need a new gasket for the float bowl, so will go ahead and do a full re-build. I've never worked on a kohler before...should there be ANY oil in the valve cover?

There shouldn`t be a cup of oil in the valve cover. It should drain back to the crankcase when shut off or when running. Does the oil smell like it has gas in it? Could very well be what Tim suggested above or a fuel pump problem.

A friend of mine last summer had a overfilled crankcase. It was in a horizontal CH18 Command. It ended up being gas in the oil and the fuel pump was the problem.

That's the strange part...it starts and runs fine...except for the spray coming out of the exhaust. It's hard to say if the oil smelled like gas....the whole garage smelled by the time i shut it off! I'm going(for now) with the carb kit and change of oil...and i found that there is already a shut off valve on the fuel line, so that's something i'll do each time now.