Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow thrower question

ka9bxg

Has anybody ever put more paddeles in the thrower to get the snow to blow farther? some one that I work with said they did that and it helped a lot. Just a idea

That wouldn't change the distance but it would help the percentage of throw of liquid. The only thing I can see to enhance the throw distance and in turn the efficiency is to ensure there are no kinks or ridges in the auger and that all surfaces and the chute are polished and lubricated. TBH, the throw arc on my 42" is almost dangerous for the neighbors with just the smooth and lube. The type of snow is critical to how it behaves however and the feed inlet rate. If the rate of ingestion falls below a certain level it will manifest as a greatly reduced arc, too much and it will obviously bog or plug.

I have seen the suggestion of mounting strips of belting to the impeller of older 2-stage snowblowers so the edge is right against the wall. this was supposed to re-energize the throw distance. My old Ariens is a menace to the neighbor, if the snow is right, so I've never tried it. ^ I imagine if there was a gap between the blade and the body you could try the same thing. Dave

quote:Originally posted by ka9bxg

Has anybody ever put more paddeles in the thrower to get the snow to blow farther? some one that I work with said they did that and it helped a lot. Just a idea

id="quote">
id="quote">A smaller driven pulley will throw it farther. Some here have done that. A 36" blower seems to throw it farther than a 42" on both RBT`s and FDT`s. Atleast that has been my experience between the two sizes over the years that I have been using them.If I can get it out of the drive that is enough for me.

The new Simplicity single stage throwers have four paddles instead of two like the older ones have. My boss owns one and said it plugs up a lot less because of smaller bites of snow going thru the chute but that distance is the same as his old two paddle blower. Of course these were on two different tractors also which makes comparing difficult. I went from a 36 inch to a 42 inch this year and agree with Sam, the 36 would throw snow farther.

Steve

I posted this before but I think it is worthy information. I had a newer 42 inch with the 7 inch pulley. I goofed it up on a rock. In a pinch I put on an older 42 from a rbt. I was amazed at the distance it threw the snow. I fixed the 42" only to realize the newer one did not perform as well. Upon further inspection the only real difference was the older one had a 5.5 inch pulley. I switched the pulley and never looked back. It was a world of difference! dOd

quote:Originally posted by fishnwiz

Great lil tip Michael! dOd

id="quote">
id="quote">Same as I posted above. It is all in the driven pulley diameter. You just loose torque on the smaller pulley. Both pulley diameters are better than using a plow. Both get it out of the drive way.

Just how much more distance are you going to gain over this

with a smaller pulley.

Most of our snows are the dry type and lose's its velocity quickly no matter how hard you chuck it.

Bob, it is pretty substantianl. I can tell you that from first hand experience. It hits a point where the snow not only gets pushed out, it arcs much better! Even when in the heavy wet snow it makes a big difference and does not clog nearly as easy.

Guys say they like the older as it does not restrict as much. I have used both and do like the older slightly better. The reality is if you change the pulley, its not a big deal either way.

I added some rubber extensions to the impeller blades of by 2-stage walk behind and it greatly increased the throwing distance and ability to throw slushy snow.