Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4211 Peerless Differential Question

tmerideth

I have a 4211 gear drive that I had to disassemble the gear box due to a snap ring problem. The lube inside the gear box was very heavy and thick, grease consistency. What is the correct lube for this unit? Thanks.

Tom,

Tecumseh company is gone, they sold the Peerless Gear division to Husqvarna, 4 years ago. About a month ago, I was testing the brakes on my 4212, and tried to do an emergency downshift. This BF cost me a broken tooth on the major spur gear on the 5 gear cluster. I was aware to expect the Bentonite grease by Zippovarga.

This grease was used by Peerless as a "once and done solution", hence there are no drains on the case.Things got more interesting as I searched for a MSDS document for the Bentonite grease. I did run across a manufacturer.As I was interested in a cleanser for this "black goop" I found; Lubricating Specialties Co.

http://www.lsc-online.com/contact-us/

Other results from a google search led me to consider my local Husqvarna dealer*, SEPW, or NAPA. Other information in the search result leans toward a high viscosity marine grade grease, or more so the white Lithium grease from NAPA (@ about $5 a tub).

I am not sure yet what I will use when I re-assemble the unit. I still have to clean it and I do not want to do it in the house.

Cheers,

Wayne

* Some Peerless parts available.

Well, I found and bought the Bentonite grease. Found at a Husqvarna dealer, as Wayne mentioned. $32 for 32 ounces. Suffering from a mild case of sticker shock!!:o Bob/Wayne, thanks for the information.