Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Going to be extra cold

OrangeMetalGuy

here for the next few days... like 4°, plus the wind chill, tomorrow night. Glad I got my charging system fixed.

Will have to see how well Allis turns over tomorrow. If she struggles I will do the utility light under the block trick to keep it warm. Remember doing that on the old Ford 3000 Diesel (my dream tractor BTW LOL) many years ago. But it did the trick.

Hi Scott--wind chill here in Ohio at -10 with about 4" blowing snow. Just finished plowing the drive with my HB212---started quickly and ran awhile then died. Thought I had the "frozen carb" thing but as it turned out it just needed gas. Wonder how cold the old Briggs will run in before the carb heat shield is needed?

As of this writng I am at +4 wind chill -11 to overnight -13 and wind chill to -15 to -25. Tomorrow (01-03-04) sunny and +12 and we are not the cold spot. My 7116 is in garage (non heated)and it will take 8-10 seconds cranking for it to ignite.

Talkin' a high of -13 here by Monday. I think Marty decided if he has to deal with -40 to -50, we needed some reality check, and he sent some of his surplus freeze our way.

Air temp was -35 here this morning, but thankfully we had no wind. This weekend is supposed to get colder. My 6212.5 usually starts much easier after warming up in front of a nipco for a spell.

Going down to plus 8 here tomorrow (unusual in the last twenty years) I brought the old girl up in garage for the night. Stays above 40 in there mostly. I will plow with it tomorrow. Looks like about 3 inches tonite and and another inch or two overnite. Still haven't tried the blower I bought about three year ago when I started getting involved in these old tractors.

I cleaned the drive yesterday evening in -4....its -10 right now, and yes, they say this isnt cold compared to next week. Been an extraordinary winter so far.

It was 10 yesterday here in Maine, went to -8 after dark. as I type this its -10 right now and its been snowing for over 24 hours. weather man says -25 with wind chill the next few days..... Looks like a foot of so of the fluffy stuff. I put the charger on the tractor for an hour then when it clicks "off" it goes to trickle maintain. Hope she starts later on when this snow stops.

When my Prestige was in cold garage

the hydro would squeal until fluid warmed up

I used to place electric heater under rear end

I did not like the squealing,

and did not think it was doing it any good

I love the old Briggs singles...never have any trouble starting them in the cold. The HB started last nite, and it didn't even take choke!

I do bounce the trickle charger around for the machines that don't get run often... and the Legacy battery always dies after about 3 days if I don't run it.

quote:Heck Brett, I decided not to be greedy, I sent it all your way, sitting at +.2 as of 9:44id="quote">
id="quote">

You're never one to be selfish, Marty. Don't know how to thank you. What a guy, what a guy............666

Here is a bit from our local on line news "paper"By Tom Rivers, editor Posted 3 January 2014Traffic slowly moves on Main Street in Albion late Thursday afternoon after a snowstorm gripped the area. Gov. Andrew Cuomo declared a “state of emergency” for all of New York on Thursday and earlier today, shutting down some major roads in the state. Today will be colder than Thursday, with temperatures in the single digits. The wind chill will make it feel like -10 to -20. The National Weather Service urged people to use “common sense” when they go outside today.

57e05fb0d1664_snowinAlbion.jpg.77cc0f1edb8cde25363b004765e5f812.jpg

Right now I have 6 to 7" of snow & a temp of 3 degrees with a high of 10 expected today. Brrr! But not as cold as some of you have it though. sm06

Had just under a foot of light and fluffy @ 8 degrees in Pottsville, PA (central). Tractor did fine plowing. I now see the merit of a hydrostatic transmission with a hydraulic lift. Need a 42 in plow. This 36 is just not wide enough. Today would have been a good day to try the blower out, but it's buried in the shed, and it's too cold to fool around. Next year: T-10 blows, T-12 plows. One can only hope. I named the T-10 "Rhonda" because she's always ready to help. (Beach Boys and "Help me Rhonda") I named the T-12 "Christine" after the car in the movie of the same name.

quote:Originally posted by MPH

Heck Brett, I decided not to be greedy, I sent it all your way, sitting at +.2 as of 9:44

id="quote">
id="quote">Sweet of ya MartydOdsm00However the -21 they are calling for here Monday morning isn't my idea of kind hearted generosity:DThat's way too close to the pictures of your dreaded thermometer you post;) Are ya sure we cant send it back?:D

:D Bob; I would put the plow on the 10 and the blower on the 12. Two days of NE wind here had a hard packed 2 ft. drift all the way across my east/west driveway. Went to get the BigTen out to blow it today and battery was pooched. Stood for a minute or two cursing my luck and thinking about removing hood for a boost when the light went on!!!! Grabbed a starting rope off the closest walk behind' wrapped it around the clutch pulley and it was off with one pull. Blew out the entire drive but the 10HP was definitely under powered moving the hard packed drift.Got the job done eventually though. Maybe I will put the blower on my 2012 hydrolift next winter....Dave

Dateline Milwaukee: Wholesale cancellations are being announced in advance of the upcoming weather.I got caught with 200+ boy and girls scouts, I believe, in 1982 splunking @ Eagle Cave. Had to stay and extra day. Owners hadn't planned for the extra day and we had four meals of pancakes and cereal. It came close to setting a cold spot record for the state.

EaglCave sml.jpg

It was -19* F ,here this morning. It warmed up to 12* F, and when I tried to start my Homelite and Sears they denied me. I will put them in the heated garage tomorrow and get them running. Supposed to get about 3" more of snow on top of our 26" we already have. Stay warm and stay safe everyone. Roger.

@Dave. The plow is on the T-10. Armstrong lift, manual blade angle and 3 speed trans. I believe the engine is coming up on failure, and then we will see if more guts are available. I am really impressed with what the 10 can do. I have the manual front pto on the T-10 and an electric one to jerry-rig to the T-12. Neither machine has a deck, but I found a Simplicity 48 for thirty dollars local, and Phandad who is fairly close, gave me a good deal on two Homelite decks. I Don't have real good place to work on the tractors yet, so I must boot a car out of the garage to work on the tractor. I'm one of those guys who believes the cars belong in the garage.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/mukwonago-wi/53149/weather-forecast/341488

If the Serf don't start Saturday, then I break out the MTD, and maybe even the extension cord to start that.

Either way, I've dealt with bitter cold in the past.

Make sure your car batteries are up to snuff. I would say car batteries roughly four years old or older may not survive the cold snap, 'specially if the car is stored outside for an extended period of time.

Widespread schools closings for Monday have already been announced.

Kent,,,,,

Should we all head out and buy up all the milk, bread and eggs??