Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Is this a new gasoline issue?.....SOLUTION UPDATE

GLPointon

I'm on my 3rd tractor now that runs so poorly I've stopped using it...The only way to keep it (them) running is to have the choke 3/4 on, and still runs weak/bad. The first 2 I chalked up to old gas (with 12 tractors that happens) but now my sunstar is doing it, AND I just fueled it full for the first time since I got it. BINGO...its this new generation of gasoline isn't it???

So what is the fix...reset the carbs/mixtures, seafoam/sta-bil, or hunt for differant gasoline??

Thanks guys...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GLPointon

• BLT

• donmoore1904

• ss74nova

I have not had any run issues because of the "new" gas. Good ol' gas would be best, but there is none nearby. I run premium and have not had any fuel related issues, even though it has the 10% ethanol mix.

Listen...I'm with yaon other fuel forums I always piped in saying the same...I've used regular unleaded gas w/10% ethanol in ALL my tractors forever and NEVER had any issues...BUT something is differant lately. My gasoline comes from the BP plant in NW Indiana...? What else can effect 3 tractors only after being refueled weeks apart from differant gas cans??? No water in fuel, not engine/carb issues... I'm at a loss sm00

quote:Originally posted by Willy

Here we go again!!:o:DI have never had a problem with gas alcohol mix.

id="quote">
id="quote">

I'd think it was something to do with the gas also. Weather will alter the carburetor efficiency slightly. I know I must fiddle with it the winter, and unfiddle with it in the summer. I would try an octane booster just for research purposes. I liberally dose my tanks with Seafoam when filling them. Seems to help. Good luck!

Bob

On Sunstar check the hose from fuel pump (pulse line) to the block, plugged fuel filter and then with a short line bypass fuel pump all together to see if engine runs fine.

I think there is a gas issue, so far, in the last year most of my six tractors have had to have carb rebuilds. As soon as they are rebuilt… they run like a top. On another note, all of my fuel lines are new within the last three years (although it may be 5 years…as my memory is not great!) and all of my fuel lines are dry rotted and leaky….I think it is the fuel!!!! jh

My local Husqvarna dealer recommended "Mechanic in a bottle" for my chainsaw if the gas sits for long periods of time & to run super unleaded in it. It works in 4 cycle engines also & does a lot of other things too. Here's the link below. Also my uncle said some of the local small engine repair shops use star or star tron treatment but I'm not sure exactly what it's called. As I write this we have 6 to 7" of snow & a temp of 3 degrees with a high of 10 expected. Hoepfully you can get your problem solved.

http://www.b3cfuel.com/products/mechanic-in-a-bottle/

I guess I'm not asking right...

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a change in how their tractors run in the last few months? They all need to be at 3/4 choke to stay running.

I'm a long time mechanic so I know its not hoses, carb adjustments, etc...PLUS it happened to 3 tractors (now 4) in a 2 month period AFTER refueling them..?sm00XX(.

Another pc of the puzzle? I buy gas in NW Indiana that has a "winter gas" and "summer gas" due to some emmissions/air quality thing. This may have started when the winter blends came out? (Autos here must pass emmissions test) Maybe this plays into the mystery?

Or maybe the gas station I use sells crappy gasoline ?

I've heard it can be treated with seafoam/sta-bil/etc but I need to know if THAT is the final fix??? :Y

Thanks for your responses sm01

quote:Originally posted by GLPointon

I guess I'm not asking right...I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a change in how their tractors run in the last few months?

id="quote">
id="quote">No. I can't say I've ever had this issue, aside from the occassional tractor that just likes choke. I like to run all my machines every couple weeks during the winter months, and did just a couple days ago. I put some gas in each, and all of them fired up easy, ran good, and idled for a bit without issue. It was 10 degrees, and I was actually suprised at how none of them gave me any guff. The old model 19's can be irritable when awakened, and even those purred like kittens.We used to frequently have this issue when snowmobiling...noticable loss of power/response after refueling at 'up north' gas stations, off the beaten path. The 2-stoke engines would really baulk at moisture in the fuel system. Dry gas always did the trick...those underground tanks sit and prsumably gather condensation over time, when they aren't refilled often. I can't imagine that happens in your area though.

I have managed to stay ahead of the game by using StaBil. Not that I haven't been caught off guard here and there, but nothing serious. The two cycle problems have been by in large rotting fuel lines because of reformulated gasoline. I have had tremendous luck on shelf storage, most times not draining fuel tanks over the winter.

I thankfully do not have any fuel related issues on my machines, including in the past few months, including my motorcycle.

I buy 87 octane Shell for all my outdoor power equipment. My bike usually gets 87 octane Citgo.

I tend to shy away from any type of fuel additives, mostly because I haven't had problems related to extended fuel storage.

How many of you run your machines out of gas before you add more fuel?

#knockingonwood

#crossingmyfingers

Not trying to pick a fight, but there are 21 different regions in the U.S. for fuel regulations, so while you may not ever have problems with your region's blend, another may always have problems.

Ethanol blended in gas doesn't in itself create an issue, but it can create problems when mixed with other anti-pollution chemicals that are mixed in. Unfortunately, some of those problem mixes are required by the EPA for some regions (Go Figure).

I would check out http://pure-gas.org/ and see if there is a station near you that doesn't have Ethanol in it.

If you use a tankful of non-ethanol gas with some Seafoam, it should clear itself up in a tank or two if it is a gas problem.

BTW: Never keep Ethanol blended gas stored for more than 30 days as the Ethanol is a magnet for moisture, especially in our old, vented fuel systems. In closed loop, fuel injection systems you can get a much longer storage time.

quote:Originally posted by timflury

How many of you run your machines out of gas before you add more fuel?

id="quote">
id="quote">On purpose!?^

I ran my walk behind snowblower today without any problems. I usually put stabil in my 5 gal can when I fill it up so it keeps longer. At the end of the season I fill the tank on the blower or mower & it's good for next season. Never had any problems yet.

THANK YOU!!!This is what I wanted to know. Because of our emmissions testing and the "new fuel" in out high pollution area (Steal Mills) I believe thats the reason for the issues.Our gasoline here even looks and smells diff now. Its clear as water and smells like mineral spirits...and I DO store my fuel in a vented tank. so maybe its water in the ethanol???I'm gonna try some non ethanol fuel if I can find it or try the seafoam for comparison

quote:Originally posted by mohrds

Not trying to pick a fight, but there are 21 different regions in the U.S. for fuel regulations, so while you may not ever have problems with your region's blend, another may always have problems.Ethanol blended in gas doesn't in itself create an issue, but it can create problems when mixed with other anti-pollution chemicals that are mixed in. Unfortunately, some of those problem mixes are required by the EPA for some regions (Go Figure).I would check out http://pure-gas.org/ and see if there is a station near you that doesn't have Ethanol in it. If you use a tankful of non-ethanol gas with some Seafoam, it should clear itself up in a tank or two if it is a gas problem.BTW: Never keep Ethanol blended gas stored for more than 30 days as the Ethanol is a magnet for moisture, especially in our old, vented fuel systems. In closed loop, fuel injection systems you can get a much longer storage time.

id="quote">
id="quote">

Greg,

Have you noticed any difference in your cars and the way they run? Do you purchase all of your fuel from the same station, all of the time? I wonder if you got a bad batch?

I haven't noticed a change in my tractors from summer to winter as far as gas goes. I do retune carbs for winter running, but have always done that. I also run sta-bil in all my tractor and small engine gas. I never drain a tank for winter, just the opposite, I fill them full. I do start them occasionally thru the winter. I have never had a problem. I have a generator that holds about 7 gallons. I fill it once a year with sta-bil treated gas. I run it every couple of months for about 15 minutes. After a year, I drain the gas and run it in my tractors without problems. I always use the ethanol blended gas, and have not had problems. If you are having gas line problems, maybe you are using the older gas line from before ethanol, I have been told they didn't stand up to it well, but the new stuff is supposed to.

In my cars, I do notice a small drop in mileage during the summer-winter changeover, but it is for only a month or 6 weeks, then it goes back to where it should be.

Just my two cents worth, and worth every penny!

Steve

I live 45 miles from the new "state of the art" Amoco/BP refinery in Hammond/East Chicago area. It serves most of the stations here in the region. I have a friend the drives a delivery tanker from the BP plant, I'm gonna ask him about the new gas...

The only stations that use their "own" gas is Shell or Marathon and Family Express...all the rest sell the same gas he delivers...I was shocked to learn that :o So much for Brand Loyalty sm01

Thank you for all the responses...I think I'm gonna try Shell gasoline 1st since it doesnt come from the East Chicago refinery.

I'm guessing THIS is an emission regulation issue. new funky gas due to the high emissions here in the Lake & Porter county steel mill region

Then 2nd is seafoam if need be...but I really dont wanna mess with additives if poss...

I've used Reg Unleaded forever without issue sm01sm00?

Brett, good question, I do fill my truck at the same stations, (Clark &/or Speedway) and have not noticed anything, but cars with computer adjusted fuel/air mixtures tolerate variables better maybe.? Plus this isnt from just 1 can of fuel, its been since Oct/Nov. I 1st noticed it mowing leaves w/my 7112 kohler & then 7116 briggs then my 7010 briggs w/snowblower and now my Duetz-Allis 1918 XX(wahSteve, I have used Sta-bil in my Generator also without any trbls. I dont know if it has old or the new gas in it now?? I may pump some out & run it in my tractor(s) for comparison... sm01"Mohrds" do you have any more info on the differant regional fuels?

quote:Originally posted by Brettw

Greg,Have you noticed any difference in your cars and the way they run? Do you purchase all of your fuel from the same station, all of the time? I wonder if you got a bad batch?

id="quote">
id="quote">

Originally posted by Talntedmrgreen
quote:
id="quote">Yes Josh, on purpose. Meaning that you are not adding new fuel to old fuel. One could be mixing new gas with old, partially evaporated gas.Oh, and for the record Greg, nice topic!! I scanned over your link, looks like an interesting read.AND....... I fill my 5gal can for my stuff roughly once every two months, or longer, 'specially in the winter months.A long time ago, I had a buddy in my area that delivered fuel to many different stations, with his truck refilled from the same "tap".