Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Odd moment on my HB-116

dentwizz

The 16hp HB-112 has been kicking butt on the snowblower duty so far but I had a scary/disconcerting moment after the last clearing. When I went to back into the garage it felt a distinct hump upward when I hit reverse/forward. The unit has been mostly redone and inspected since I got it from a less than skilled previous owner tinkerer but apparently I missed one.

When I grabbed the seat it moved on the pan, so I looked and sure enough the pan had the typical sag cracks. With them fixed and braced it still did the wobble. Turns out when I took the dash tower off and looked in, a lower bgb bolt was missing and the other lower was loose. That makes me feel a little better that it was the snow blower not the plower. Can't take anything for granted...

Talntedmrgreen

I had a B-112 that was a blower tractor, and it had the upper left, and lower right BGB bolts...one was backed out an 1/8th inch, but the other remained tight. The missing two bolts were nowhere to be found...not even down in the frame under the engine shroud, just gone. I blew snow for an entire winter that way, and never noticed until March! Now I check all my machines.

Exactly;) I've been accustomed to looking at the bgb external bolts and frame welds since the 64LL is prone to those issues but never had to mess with the internal frame bolts. At least it was a good time to get the steering lubed/tightened a bit8D It was a pleasant surprise to find that the dash could come away from the mid frame fairly easily.