Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Wow!

MadMike

For the first time since owning a 7119H with a 36" blower, I felt a little under gunned today. I have about a 500' gravel driveway and I would say approximately 50% was drifted higher than the opening on the blower. Forecast is calling for 20+ winds for the next few days so by the time I get back home tonight, it will look like I did nothing this morning. Worst yet, I pick this year to forget to put my driveway edge markers in before the ground froze.

I guess come some thawing, I'll get to see how accurate my internal GPS is.

Sure was fun to watch the snow fly under headlights though ;-)

after the first cut, take only 3/4 cut, your power will be back

but you should not lack for power with a 36 inch blower

i had 42 inch with 20hp magnum, really enjoyed making it work

16 hp Briggs single was very impressive

quote:Originally posted by Ronald Hribar

16 hp Briggs single was very impressive

id="quote">
id="quote">I second that. I ran my snowbanks with the T-16/42" blower yesterday a bit. Half of that stuff is the ice/crust crap left form our ice storm, and it was easily 4-6" over the top of the blower. I took appropriate sized bites, but man does a LOT of stuff move through that blower. I had to move in 1st gear, but it worked quite well, and you could tell when you really hit some of that icy stuff. Sounded like rocks going through the chute!

Ron,

Lack of power wasn't the issue, just the shear height of the snow drifts were. With the blower scraping the ground as we want, the snow continued to pile right over the top due to the slight crust on it. Going back over the area with partial passes cleans it up but, what noramlly takes about 45 minutes turned into a 2 hour ordeal. With the temps this morning, it wasn't so bad. Tomorrow, if the predictions hold true of -30 wind chills, 2 hours without a cab is going to just plain hurt. I think with my unheated shed, the tractor will get the 100 Watt trouble light under the hood and a blanket over the top for tonight. Come to think of it, I may sleep the same way.

quote:Originally posted by MadMike

{snip} Going back over the area with partial passes cleans it up but, what normally takes about 45 minutes turned into a 2 hour ordeal. {snip}

id="quote">
id="quote">I notice the same thing with my plow on deeper jobs. It can easily extend more than twice as long with the narrower passes. I finish, look at the clock and ask where the time went.

quote:Originally posted by timflury

After the first pass, one might need to knock the deep drift down with a shovel, then clean up the chunks with the blower.

id="quote">
id="quote">On the rare occasions I use a blower, I try to keep the bank on my left side, and knock it down with my knee and elbow as I go.....But I have a very good snow suit. :OI also usually run an older blower with drift cutters :D

If I'm fighting deep snow I raise the blower up

and go a ways then back up and drop it down for

another pass. It a bit slower but I at least

get the crusted crap off the top and the stuff

underneath is most of the time softer.

I have a cab so it isn't quite as painful taking a

little longer.

I forgot my driveway markers as well but found that a drill with a masonry bit makes great pilot holes in frozen ground. It only take 2-3 inches to hold them tight.

quote:Originally posted by 427435

I didn't realize that 36" blowers fit on a 7119. Isn't that narrower than the wheels??

id="quote">
id="quote">With 25-8X12 atv drive tires on 6" rims gives you about 1-1/2 clearance on each side.912%20blower.jpg

Mike,

When the drifts get to be twice the height of the blower just do what I do..

Get the wife out with a shovel to break them down for you as you go on blowing snow while seated in your nice warm cab:O666666666

OO:D

I have seen snow throwers with a bar attached to the outsides of the blower sticking up and forward to knock the snow down (after the first pass) into the path of the blower.

---------but found that a drill with a masonry bit------

Burrrrrrrr, that gives me flash backs to 2005 drilling holes for concrete stakes at 45 below. Rough on the ole Hilti's _________and the operator.

quote:Originally posted by MikeES

I have seen snow throwers with a bar attached to the outsides of the blower sticking up and forward to knock the snow down (after the first pass) into the path of the blower.

id="quote">
id="quote">Got em on both blowers, and they do work good..after the first passThat first pass through 4.5' drifts when the drifts are 40' long is pretty tough going

Had the same problem a few years back with the allis 720 when you are cutting 5 foot drifts is a little tough.It did take a lot of shoveling to get the job done. I have a logging truck coming in tomorrow and have to blow some more snow bad thing is right now it is -5 but it is a lot warmer than the -25 from last night

I had problems with the blower getting barred when we had our 24" snowfall in 09'. All along the way I'd drive forward until the chute got barred, back off, knock everything down with a shovel, then move forward and do it again. The only restriction with these old girls is their overall size. Volume of snow through the blower never seems to slow it down.

Heck I put a half loaf of bread through mine once. I don't know how it ended up barred underneath the snow. Scarred the poop out of me at first but then realized how cool it was that the blower was able to do it.