Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Johny Bucket

jackcobb

I looked at the Johny Bucket site, and noticed a few familiar names in the pictures and testimonials. Can you really lift the bucket up with only the manual lift lever after it is full? The B-210 in the pictures had hydraulic lift while the Simplicity used the manual lift arm. The Johny Bucket looks more practical for my needs than a $2500 plus loader attachment. Thanks Jack

Jack, Though I have no experience with the manual lift, I certainly have used the Johnny Bucket a lot. I think you could handle a full bucket of topsoil, sand or mulch just fine with a manual lift. I doubt you'd want to lift a full bucket of gravel though... probably about 2/3's would be enough. I'd guess about 200 pounds would be all you'd want to manually lift. Have you seen the article I did about the Johnny Bucket? If not, I've linked it in... Kent [A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/johnny_bucket_jr_.htm'][img src='http://www.simpletractors.com/images/bucket/top_view.jpg'][/a]

I'd also recommend refraining from full buckets of gravel, too much weight on the lift arm keys. 1/2 - 2/3 is enough. Dirt 's ok to fill it up with. I have a 12 year old that used a manual lift with it this last summer(both hands though), and I used it too. Its not that bad. I also have a loader on a garden tractor and there is give and take between both. There are some jobs I use the JBJR for and others I prefer the loader for. Both are invaluable to me. Sam

I didn't have one at the time, but it would surely help it alot. Earlier this year I had buyers and no weights , now I have weights and no buyers............bad timing I guess. By the way, How do you clean food out of your keyboard? Like you, I was taking in the "tractoring news" on the club while eating breakfast the other day, slipped with the knife and ended up with a keyboard full of breakfast. Not Pretty. I think I need to get away from this thing for a while....................

Sam, unplug it and scrub it with a basicly dry brush, like one one of those veggie brushes or bottle brush, worked for me once..MPH

Kent do you have a picture of the "boom hoist" It looks like I could devise a similar contraption. I just got a weight bar from a friend and my 1960 700 simp has a rear lift group that I could install on my 1963 monkey ward gardenmark tractor.I was thinking there might be a simple front hitch that I could rig with a similar weight bar.

Here's a picture of a boom hoist that Dave Christensen had on his Model 700. That's where I got the idea.... I haven't made one yet. It's still on the "project" list, which unfortunately often gets placed behind the "honey-do" list... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/gallery_images/dlc_700_lft.jpg

I e-mailed the johnny bucket people and asked if there was an attachment that could be used on my 1968 bolens 1050 with a manual right hand lift and on my 1963 725 left hand manual lift? Does anyone out there know of any attachment that would work on both machines?As yet I have not heard from JBjr probably cause the holiday.Thanks JohnH P.S. Does anyone know of an after market hydraulic system available?

Too bad you're not closer, Sam. I'd like to have another "doughnut" weight for my counterweight -- or perhaps a whole complete counterweight to replace my concrete "ballast" that I poured... The concrete is ugly, but effective for traction with the weight hanging that far out behind the rear wheels. Unfortunately, it does nothing to help lift the weight of a front attachment. Duh! That got me thinking -- maybe I could use the short lift rod/pin for my moldboard plow's sleeve hitch, and let this concrete ballast pivot just like a moldboard plow.... just need to figure out how to attach the lift chain to the weight. Hmmm.... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/bucket/on_bucket2.jpg

John. if you have a front blade it works to remove the blade and then stack wts on the remaining frame. Run a bolt through them to hold 'em place. I did some pretty rough terrain raking last summer with my rear mounted yard rake and it held together fine..MPH

Hi Jack, When I first bought my Johnny bucket I had it on my 710 which has a manual lift. I moved all kinds of stuff with no real problem, then I put a counter weight on the rear arm to offset the lift weight and it worked even better. I ended up getting a tractor with hydro lift and putting it on that, but I thought it did fine with the manual lift.

Kent, for a little extra traction blowing snow I raided my sons iron pumping set for 2 25lb wts, put a rod in the rear lift and held them back about 8 inches with a pair of visegrips. When I find my own on a yard sale cheap think I'll make me a set-up to look good too. MPH

I'm currently using a pair of 25 lb weights on my rear counterweight, with an original doughnut weight clamped behind them to hold them on.... I raided the local dump... BTW, the bar on this weight set fits into the rear lift's tube like it was made for it. I want to use it to make a rear "boom hoist." I'll cut it shorter, drill a hole on one end for the hitch pin and one on the other end to bolt on a short chain and hook, and use it to move dead tractors with....

The counterweights provide some help with traction. But, they also help lift a heavy front or rear implement. They hang from the opposite end of the tractor's lift mechanism from the implement you're using, offsetting its weight. One type is used on the front, to help with lifting tillers and plows, while another type was for the rear, to help with lifting front blades, snowblowers, etc. We've been talking about a rear one, but I've linked in a picture showing the front one -- the tube looking thing with hitch arms on it, on the right side.... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/b_attachments_images/options.jpg