Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower spout rotator motor

Les

Had an old GM electric window motor rigged as a spout rotator, it went bad(broke) Two years ago I went down to Auto Zone and bought a brand new electric window motor, used it maybe three times, not at all last year, now it quit working the first time I tried it this year, it is getting voltage and I wired brushed several times to make sure it has ground.

I never water proofed the motor, could that be the problem?

I have had my used motor on for three years and it sits

out in the open and I haven't had any problem.

I think they are pretty well water proof.

You could try running a jumper from the neg. side of

the Battery, just to double ck. your ground.

The factory style window motors ground through the tractor frame. I found that the blower pinned to the tractor just isn't a good enough ground connection, so /when I do my power rotator setups I run a ground wire directly from the tractor frame to the bracket the spout motor mounts to, usually using one of the mounting screws themselves.

It is also possible to break that ground wire to over time, flexing it and or pinching it...

I have no experience as mine is a gear reduction motor grounded thru the switch, but I have been told that guys may get lucky on the first or go thru 3 before they find one that has the power and longevity. I was told even new ones can be weak and burn up quick. Something to do with the diode in them. Again, just what I have heard. No idea based on real life experience. Sam does bring up a very good point as usual on the ground!dOd

I also hose down my spout assembles contact surfaces (where it meets the blower body) with wd 40 every other time I use it or so. Found this helps ease the load on the motor a lot. If its totally dry, sometimes the motor wont pull it around.

All the motors I use for the rotators are mid- 70s gm types from cars like the Olds Cutlass . These are sealed up in a rubberized coating from the factory.

Mine is over 40 years old and no problems, and yes I have a 4 prong plug (typical trailer plug) to connect my blower to the tractor. So I run a ground wire all the way back to the dash of the tractor.

I sent this to Les, this is almost identical to the motor that came on my Legacy for deck height, I replaced mine with this with 3- 3/8 nylon spacers, for the 1/4 20 bolts and it's been good for 2 years. Same motor I used in this set up.http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57153

Sam, I cut the bottom off a bleach bottle and used a heat gun to stretch it over the base where the shroud goes. Now its metal on plastic. There is little to no dragging and absolutely no "chatter" as it rotates. It only was 20 minutes of dinking around and now when the snow melts and ices, it just breaks off and does not have a rough surface to grab. It makes a huge difference!

• 1 year later...

Rick,

I am planning on building a setup like what I believe you link to, however, I can't see the post. When I click on the link it keeps telling me I am not authorized. Anyway you could share the details with me?