Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What Tractor To Buy

sispro

I like to see what people would buy if they had the money to buy a tractor like the type and model of it. Now this is a tractor to be able to do the work of just about anything.

Like to buy a tractor and what to see what kind of tractor would buy if they are going to buy one and say they have the money to do it. And why they would buy that type and model no.

Also looking for a more updated tractor.

Thank you

Dan

Oh wow....thats pretty open ended. I would love a subcompact, but the Legacy/540pto I have is even overkill for work I "need" to do vs play. Anything bigger would probably just be more difficult to use aroumd the house and shop.

It does the loader work I need and is small enough to go where a garden tractor will go. That being said, I would take something like that but newer, with diesel power and 4x4. A Legacy XL or other brand equivilent would rock. Id want a hard cab, 60" broom, loader, tiller and 2 stage blower. I wouldnt even want to mow with it.

Like Josh said, Pretty open ended.

You need to write down size of proerty, what you want to do with it and with single or multible machines.

Assuming my current property, a sub-compact with many implements.

- 48" to 54" mower deck.

- 48" Snow Blower

- 36" to 48" Brush Hog

- 48" Tiller

- Small Loader

Kubota, New Holland, Cub Cadet, etc.

The fun I could have......

I have a Massey subcompact 3 cyl diesel 4x4 loader/backhoe that I bought to do improvements on my 3ac property, which is all on a slope (10 to 25%) except 1/2 ac on a 7% slope. I've pulled over a hundred trees, dug a foundation for building, moved large amounts of fill and gravel from here to there, etc. I haven't killed myself yet, but I have come close. Those outriggers and the hoe have come in handy at times when I got into dicey situations such as the tractor started to slide and tried to tip over. I wish I could mow with it, which is where having multiple machines comes into play. Oh, I planted several 800 pound trees hauled off my F150 with it too, which was nice. It isn't used much now. I wished a couple of times I had a larger tractor, but the narrow width is really useful with all the tight spaces I have.

I use my 7010 to mow - I'm not sure even with filled tires and implements removed I could use the Massey with a belly mower on these slopes. The guy who sold me the MF said "You'll give up using your tractor for snow." Not true at all. The MF doesn't plow as clean or float side to side like the 7010, and then those 4x4 tires pack the remaining snow. It makes a real mess and I'm playing constantly with the shovel height. So I use the 7010 to plow heavier snows into piles, and then get the MF out to move the piles.

If it were up to me, based on what you get for your money, I would buy a kubota diesel. Legacy's are incredible tractors, but when you look at price to value comparison, the kubota falls short on the cut but makes up for the rest. Sad, but thats my warped reality... Good news though, I can't afford a new tractor!:D

If money was no object I would have a 4X4 Legacy with two-stage blower, glass cab, and heater. After the way the wind was blowing today I don't like the snow blowing in my face anymore.

quote:Originally posted by Burntime

If it were up to me, based on what you get for your money, I would buy a kubota diesel. Legacy's are incredible tractors, but when you look at price to value comparison, the kubota falls short on the cut but makes up for the rest. Sad, but thats my warped reality... Good news though, I can't afford a new tractor!:D

id="quote">
id="quote">Me either I would like to get a hold of those old fords

Kubotas seem to be the best bang for the buck these days. A new Legacy with loader and backhoe would be really fun, tiller, blower and deck.

Honestly, I would love to make a 900 series Allis with modern day improvements and options. Foot controlled hydro,4WD, heavier duty, shaft driven PTOs, diesel, 3 point, basically a legacy with the looks of a 900. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

New Holland, mine is a TN55S. 3 cyl diesel, 4WD, 8 speeds with shuttle, supersteer, 33LA quicktach loader. With all that, I can't wait to retire so I can restore my '66 Chalmers D15 Series II and use it again.

If you need to work on slopes, need a loader, and are willing to do your own maintenance, I'd suggest you at least look at one of these:

http://power-trac.com/productclasses.htm

My PT-425 is simply the best tool investment that I've ever made. There's simply no way that I could maintain my current property without one, or something similar. Luckily, I found one with 250 hours on it, and it is now approaching 1,000 hours -- of hard use and abuse -- and sold a little Kubota 4WD to buy it. I've never regretted that... the 3-pt hitch is a farming design from about 1950. The world is a much better place with your implements/tools out in front of you, where you can watch them operate...

Steiners and Vent-tracs are somewhat similar, though much more expensive, and you can get Kubota engines in those. Power-Trac diesels use a Deutz air/oil cooled engine.

BTW, before you might "choke" on the price, consider that EVERY Power-Trac has a loader built in -- it's an articulated loader (like a Pay-Loader) first and foremost. You just have to choose and pay for whichever bucket you want on it. Then, choose what else you want from the 40+ available attachments.

I've adapted other types of attachments to fit mine. It came with a Howse 60" landscape rake adapted for it. I've adapted a 48" King Kutter boxblade and am now adapting a 41" hydraulic tiller from a Case/Ingersoll for it... I think that will make my 12th attachment, and I can put any one of them on or take them off in a minute or so...