Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
maxwood

front wheel bearings

maxwood

Hello, I started the poor man steering upgrade. when I took off the front wheel the bearings were shot . This tractor (newer sovereign) sat outside unused for 5 yrs, before I repowered it, I have used it for 2 yrs cutting grass. Here is a photo of the bearingsI will replace them with new bearings Thanks Ken in Mi[

front wheel bearings 1.jpg

57e0591110d1e_frontwheelbearings1.jpg.408698ef540c33d0bffedf48dee3a368.jpg

donmoore1904

Eh, you can clean those up, throw some grease on and... pray?

I'm happy I have the space to keep my tractor inside. They are made very well, but harsh conditions do take their toll.

RayS

I use the same bearings that are used in the spindles of the arbors in my front wheels (108202) for over 10 years now. They are sealed, last 500 hours in a spindle according to Simplicity and the tires spin a lot slower than any arbor on a mower deck that I have seen. So I wonder will the mower deck bearing last 50 years in the front rims?

RayS

I remove both inner and outer bearing races. The arbor spindle bearing and wheel bearing races are the same diameter as each other (1-25/32"). The height of the arbor bearing is 19/32" and the wheel bearings are 21/32" so that is a 1/8" total height loss. On one of the tractors I believe I used a 5/8" or 3/4" flat washer in front of the spacer that is already on the spindle shaft. Just depends if the dust cap has enough clearance to go back on.

Willy

Like Ray, I have been using deck bearings for several years.

when I have a deck bearing go bad I replace all of them.

I use the good ones as wheel bearings, I have some large

washers that I drill out just a little larger then the

smaller race it acts as a seal to keep dirt and grass

from building up on the bearing.

Ronald Hribar

never thought of using spindle bearings, good idea

On my daughters 7016, the wheel bearings were completely shot

and rusted solidly to axles, destroyed two rims getting them off

and yet the tractor rolled onto trailer.

MrSteele

New Simplicity bearings come from a state I can't find on the map, called China. I have had a set in one wheel for several years, but I clean and repack every year. Did it again last week. They won't make it another year

maxwood

Hello, I put it all back together, using the new spindle bearings I had.

The tires spin freely, and the steering is much better with the Poor Mans steering upgrade. All for under $20+ the bearings I bought before.

Thanks Ken In Mi

hamman01

When I replace the bearing I carefully pull the covers off the bearing and pack tham with a high grade wheel bearing grease. Older Simplicity mechanic told me to do that. Makes them last a lot longer. He has been doing that since the 70s he said. Roger.