How much Seat Time?

Ronald Hribar

We got about 3 inches of snow. Light and fluffy

Looked like a blizzard when using snow blower

Even plow banks is easily done

30 minutes and 6 driveways and sidewalks done

Resisted urge to go faster

Last year I was stopped suddenly and windshield fall out

I haven't been keeping exact numbers re my seat time this winter. But, it's been a lot more than I'd like. Waking up extra early to clear the driveway and shovel the walks, and then having to do it again when I get home from work, got old quite a while ago.

'bout 45 minutes this morning including stopping to pull the yule log jammed into the blower out. First time I ever killed that M18. Didn't damage anything, and didn't smoke a belt. 7 driveways. Pretty light stuff, could move at a good clip.

Only had tractor out twice, both time B 4 Christmas, the WB used once around the house B 4 New Years to get a trail done for some preventitive snow raking B 4 the rains.

Snowwinter12%2022%2013%20c.jpg

Toro CCR 1000 has been getting the brunt of the work. Today 3 driveways, patio and 120' of curb was about it. 45 Min at the most and the walk wasn't that bad. Better then last week.:D

Was thinking this morning about getting something stuck in snow blower

The Two Stage I have has shear pins in auger

A better idea

Been blowing snow three times since Jan. 1st. Last night had about 4 inches to clean up, I usually do my driveway along with the ends of 4 or 5 others, then the sidewalk around half a block or so, then the sidewalk across the street and around the corner. About half hour with the T816 and 42 inch blower. This morning just the blown in, drifted stuff from last night in my driveway and my sidewalk, about 10 minutes. Still waiting for the 12-16 inch storm that we usually get once a year, that is always a fun day for me.

When I started the snow season I had about 14 hours on my 99 sov, as of today 33 hours so far between home and the flower store, another 2 to 4 on the way. As much fun as it is, I could do without winter seat time. Next year I'll have a truck with plow,heater and drink holder.

Seat time is probably a 3-5X per week thing, on average from Christmas through mid March. I like it cuz I have my choice of machines and methods and it gets my azz out of the house (I USED to have hobbies other than tractors....not so much anymore).

This winter I have been clearing snow since before Thanksgiving, and many times twice per day like Chris. Before last weeks thaw, my unshovelled deck was over my railings...I measured 29" in the front yard. Thats nuts for us by the first week in January. I get 100" a year but numerous thaws that shrink our snowpack....not the case this year. The front yard is now a foot thick, concrete. Im betting the 5' snowbanks I have wont move until almost Turkey season.

The forecast from the national weather service today indicates the longest cold spell "in perhaps a decade or more" beginning mext week. Ill never get to my winter projects.

With the light, fluffy stuff, it took all of five minutes to run the serf, I don't even think it made it up to operating temperature.

The tractor never even snorted through the plow bank on the bottom of the driveway.

Then another five was spent on the patio with the shovel, that took a little longer to allow the doggie some time to relieve himself.