Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Modified Gas Can Question

davidmoll

I had to buy a new gas can last week as the spout broke on my much older one. I saw the video on this site to modify the can for a new vent. My question is that, will it take care of the stupid vent in the new storage spouts and pour as normal versus having to apply pressure pushing the new spout against the fill neck on the tractor. You can't see how much is going in and how full the tank is which leads to overfilling the tank and spillage!

I have one of the new-fangled things. Just take off the spout, push down the tab to expose the part that shuts off the gas flow, and cut it away so it will pour without pushing on it. I absolutely, positively hate those things! Thanks again to my nanny govt. for helping stupid old me, too dumb to fill a gas tank I guess. (Small rant there).

im with you steve i hate the new cans. last year i went to garage sales and bought several old gas cans that work great and for 2.00 each, they can have the new ones.

quote:Originally posted by steve-wis

I have one of the new-fangled things. Just take off the spout, push down the tab to expose the part that shuts off the gas flow, and cut it away so it will pour without pushing on it. I absolutely, positively hate those things! Thanks again to my nanny govt. for helping stupid old me, too dumb to fill a gas tank I guess. (Small rant there).

id="quote">
id="quote">You can thank the lawyers. People sue over every little wrong that happens in life and we end up with gas spouts that I can't get to work right. I ended up ripping the top half that's supposed to be depressed off completely and the end cap still fits perfect.:o I'm sure if someone catches me with my modified spout, I'll either get a ticket or sued.^ ( Said with tongue firmly in cheek);)

have an old steel OSHA approved for construction use can. You have to push forward on a handle while the spout is in the tank being filled. That piece of 5/16 hose wrapped around it is an accessory that is easily used to siphon into a lawnmower tank. I also have a piece of 1/4 and 3/8 available, depending on size of tank. Had it about 25 years

If you like those old OSHA cans you should try the new industrial ones. You have to have 3 hands to pour out of them - hold open the spout, hold open the vent, lift 40 lbs, and they pour gas all over you and the ground. The idea is to prevent gas vapor from leaking out in storage and causing explosions, but I fail to see how these rube goldberg things are safer if they spill all over!

I did see a retrofit spout with no fancy gadgets at Fleet Farm store that has a disclaimer label "only for cans mfg before XXX date". I suppose they might fit newer ones....

quote:Originally posted by AC710

If you like those old OSHA cans you should try the new industrial ones. You have to have 3 hands to pour out of them - hold open the spout, hold open the vent, lift 40 lbs, and they pour gas all over you and the ground. The idea is to prevent gas vapor from leaking out in storage and causing explosions, but I fail to see how these rube goldberg things are safer if they spill all over!I did see a retrofit spout with no fancy gadgets at Fleet Farm store that has a disclaimer label "only for cans mfg before XXX date". I suppose they might fit newer ones....

id="quote">
id="quote">EPA had thread pitch changed on newer style containers so no former style spouts would work.

notice all new cans have no vent plugs so gas must gurgle and splash to get out while the spout sucks air around the gas. Another fine way to splash gas all over a hot engine - Did I mention you should avoid "hot fueling" at all costs nowadays?:D

CC I'm with Yukon, I don't own a new can and won't. I have 2 older 5gal. cans, a 2gal. and 2 1gal. cans. All plastic and all with factory vents and good spouts.

On my way to Fla. last spring I had the misfortune to run out of gas very near to a station off I75 because of a steep uphill grade. A good samaritan stopped and drove me to Wally World where I purchased the only type of gas can available. One of the new style of course. After 2 trips to fill it I had enough in the tank to reach the fuel pump pickup. The can made it extremely awkward to pour into my RV's filler neck and I cursed it's cheap stupid design and Chinese ancestry. We were once again southbound but I was stewing all day about wasting my hard earned cash on the " cheap PoS Chinese can". We stopped at another Walmart for the night and in the morning I was still mad so I took the can and bill into the store for a refund. Here is when I closely examined this Chinese fiasco in the daylight and was astonished to find "Made in Canada" proudly cast into the spec tab on the can. I guess regardless of country of manufacture they have to abide by the U.S. OHSA specs to sell in the U.S. I have since looked and we are cursed with the same spouts here so that is why I will keep only my older cans....Dave

Because I can save about 60 cents a gallon when I go to Anchorage I bought a 4th can, one of the new one, wow, stupid wins again. I see now they want screens put in them to keep them from sucking flame back up the vent tube. Sooooo, pouring gas on a fire or what.

I just use a funnel for the tractors, works great, haven't found a good working funnel for the pick-up though.

I'm just old-fashioned. I like a steel gas can. I hate my OSHA can, but I found it on the side of the road one day and kept it. Someone must have gotten rid of it the easy way...I am looking for older still, where you simply remove the cap, lift and start pouring. I do have a plastic one I use occasionally, with a vent that can be removed.

Thankfully I've accumlated a lifetime+ supply of the older square looking cans with a vent,but with the new ones how about taking the spout off and using a funnel like we did years ago?I also have a good supply of funnels just in case I live longer than expected(LOL)