Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JoggerFogger

7016 intermittent stall? *With Video*

JoggerFogger

This tractor is new to me and I love it. I didn't do anything to it except sand the points to make it run. (bought it as a non-running machine). It has an in-line fuel valve (you can see it in the video) and if you don't shut it off when it's parked, it leaks. That fact and the studder at this low RPM made me think that the bowl was gummed up, or the float valve had something in it and it was overfilling the bowl causing it to stutter.

So I cleaned out the bowl and the rest of the carb(it was super clean) and at least it doesn't leak any more when it's parked with the fuel on. (I shut it off anyway) but the stutter is still there.

So this little stutter happens every 30 seconds or so. I'm glad I videoed the stutter, because I can see the throttle responding. And it recovers with some black smoke. So that tells me that the governor is working, and it's delivering fuel. And when it recovers it's rich. It's just like someone shut off the key for a couple seconds... but it's repetitive like clockwork? Maybe it's too rich and it's loading up? But why would it recover at all if that was the problem? I'm thinking now that it's losing spark.

As you can see, I have these conversations with myself over and over, round and round. Fun eh? won't you join me?

What's causing this stutter?

Hopefully this Video works:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/cFhtBmAJewzqxhs4d8AQrGU5dw_l7C8VcBFOv-sIIvs?feat=directlink

Thanks,

Kevin

HubbardRA

Sounds like your carb has just a little too much fuel leaking inside it. The stutter appears to be the spark plug fouling slightly then cleaning out.

You didn't say if you had tried to adjust the carb to get rid of the problem. I have seen many of these engines do the same thing when the main jet is set too rich. If that is the case, all you need to do is screw the jet in about 1/4 turn to stop the flooding.

If it is a float needle leakage or leakage around the emulsion tube, then the carb will need to be taken apart to fix the problem. These leakages cannot be fixed by adjusting the main jet.

JoggerFogger

Sorry, finally got to fiddle with the carb. Yes, the main was out 3.5, and the idle out 3 turns. I finally found some initial settings and they suggested 1.5 turns out on both.

That was a simple fix. cleaned the whole carb for nothing really. Oh well, and least now the float valve doesn't leak.

Thanks HubbardRA.

There is some slop in the throttle shaft, but looks like nothing compared to my 64 Landlord. That thing is a hotdog in a hallway.

-Kevin