Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tool Time

Willy

Well I had my fun for a while, The S/G belt broke

on my Big-10.

Of coarse it's the one with the cab and snow blower.

Had to take the cab and blower off just to get started.

I got the belt on with the proper amount of cussing, and

while I was at it I checked S/G, because the battery seemed

low sure enough no charge, so I replaced it.

At last I got it all put back together started it up and

lifted the blower and it slowly crept back down, so I

guess the seals in the lift cyl. are bad, it never gave

me any problem before.

Well I'll live with it until spring, I'll be darned if I'll

tear down again.

I would certainly have put it back together without checking the charging system... so you beat me by a good step and a half. Sorry to hear about your troubles, it can get depressing sometimes.

quote:Originally posted by joelk

I would certainly have put it back together without checking the charging system... so you beat me by a good step and a half. Sorry to hear about your troubles, it can get depressing sometimes.

id="quote">
id="quote">Yep, I wouldn't have checked that either! This story is a bit depressing, but there is always the chance of rain on the parade. The good part is, once you get them running well and all the gotchas are out of the way, you often have years of no problems.It reminds me a little of when I couldn't replace the rear shift rod seal in my 3-sp manual. I wasted 3 of them at $whatever/piece ($8, $11 -I can't recall). Took the tractor to a mechanic, who gave me rotted ramp boards. The tractor and I fell off (lesson learned there), the seat pan was bent and bracket welds broke, my perfect seat bent, and my steering wheel with the orange S stressed to the point the metal broke loose of the molded plastic. Talk about depressing - this was after rebuilding the tranny and BGB, redoing the coil and plunger and rebuilding the carb. This leaking seal was the "finishing touch". HA HA - look at the loser! The sting of that took a year or two to wear off. The mechanic used a tool to ease the housing edge, after he ruined a seal himself.

quote:That's why I'm trying to stick with repair friendly Kohler powered

RBT's

id="quote">
id="quote">

Yup, there's always one in the crowd! sm00wah:Y

Originally posted by ReedS
quote:
id="quote">:D:D:D ROFLMA &:)&:)&:)That's meeeeeeeeeee
quote:Originally posted by steve-wis

Hey Sam,I kind of like my repair friendly Briggs powered RBT's!

id="quote">
id="quote">If its one with the 16hp/spin out starter /flywheel charging systemdOddOddOd