Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grandfather's 3415H

Tarheel

Some might remember the tornado dropping huge trees on a number of my tractors.

When the timber was cut and the brush cleared, The 3415H was found to be among those hardest hit. A 916 Broadmoor took the brunt of that tree and was almost a total loss.

But it held up enough that the 3415 had a chance to survive. It was dragged behind the garage and left for a few years while I scrapped other damaged machines.

Back around Christmas I dragged the thing into my garage and after a days work had it running well. I built the engine and restored the tractor in or around 1990.

I bought the Deep orange paint that was being offered on the GTH line of running board tractors at the time. Factory paint and primer looked great but did not last.

When I say restored, I mean new 48 inch deck hull, roller bar and rollers, and blade arbors. Decals were NLA so decals for later RBTs were used and the main 3415H decals on the hood were taped over and saved. The only flaw on an otherwise pristine looking machine.

The BGB was rebuild. Shafts, seals, gears and bearings. The front axle was badly worn at the pivot bearing and had to be bored and bushed.

The engine I had bored and a steel sleeve installed bringing it back to standard bore. 50wt Valvoline racing oil is all it has ever seen and its still tight and uses no oil.

Now there is a large dent in the oil cooler for the hydro. Fan and shroud is ruined but after I had the engine running the pump shaft turned true.

I have a spare cooler, a fan and shroud to fit. While that is being repaired, the rear end will be cleaned and painted gloss black and the BGB shimmed for back lash.

I will need a steering wheel if anyone has a good looking one to sell please PM me with price and shipping info.

A full set of rims and tires is something else I'll be kind of looking for. (Depends greatly on price) Decals are ready to be ordered

This leaves me looking for Deep orange and apache white paint. If anyone has a paint code for the Deep orange, please share !

Oh, I will need all the deck bearing housings as well.

Thanks

I found single stage urethane in hugger orange at Eastwood auto. Price is great and they offer a pretty fair color selection. I can get a gloss black.

The one problem seems to be getting "Apache white" a "cream" color for the hood and wheels as I can't abide strait white on the 3400 or even the gray factory color.

I have had the flu since Jan 2. Spent the early hours of Friday in the ER and later at my cardiologist. X-rays showed is wasn't pneumonia as I had feared just a bad case of bronchitis. Either way, Painting is out for a while yet. Allowing me time to get my ducks in a row.

quote:Originally posted by Tarheel

The one problem seems to be getting "Apache white" a "cream" color for the hood and wheels as I can't abide strait white on the 3400 or even the gray factory color.

id="quote">
id="quote">Give Rustolium "Canvas White" a try 8)Cheers,Wayne

I restored a 3415H for my SIL. I was lucky to find a close match to the "white" you speak of, at a local hardware store. It was an off brand and it was called, as I recall, Desert Beige. It was the green-ish, grey-ish, tan-ish "white" that these seem to be. It was a close enough match that you cannot tell the inside of the hood from the exterior (I did not paint the inside of the hood). I accomplished the match by taking a headlight pod right to the hardware store, as a suggestion. I never would have come close otherwise, as I couldn't believe what the cap of the can looked like (greenish khaki to me) until I put the headlight pod next to it.

3415H 007.JPG

57e05fbeceffc_3415H007.JPG.50baaf8b7dcfc56c4b07b480bb748a34.JPG

OK I found out the info. Premium Décor is the brand. PDS-44 Gloss, Desert Beige is the color. It is an off brand, and I found it at a True Value hardware store.

I stumbled across a very close match for my 3410 hood and wheels. Can't tell you any details except that it's a gloss almond color made for re painting refrigerators. Yep, that almond color. Exact match for factory paint and it's been on the tractor about five years now and it wears like iron. Rattle can too. I bought the paint at a local general store.

quote:Originally posted by Tacey

I stumbled across a very close match for my 3410 hood and wheels. Can't tell you any details except that it's a gloss almond color made for re painting refrigerators. Yep, that almond color. Exact match for factory paint and it's been on the tractor about five years now and it wears like iron. Rattle can too. I bought the paint at a local general store.

id="quote">
id="quote">That sounds like the Rustolium Appliance Epoxy (shaker can) Comes n a gloss white and almond."Majik IH white" at TSC, is also an almond-white.

Yep I think you are right grinchy. That stuff covered in one coat and I skimped on the prep. I was and am shocked at how well it wears and still shines.