Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rich_kildow

Snowblower pulley falls off everytime

rich_kildow

I've posted on this before and have about had it at this point. My 7116 snowblower will consistently throw the main pulley on the blower after about 30 minutes of use. I've been through this a half dozen times now and have done the following:

- inspected the shaft, key and pulley for damage

- cleaned all mating surfaces to remove grease

- replaced the key

- replaced the set screw with an allen head

- used blue loc-tite

- used red loc-tite

- flattened the set screw

- ground a point on a new set screw (both per recommendations)

- tighten the set screw before each use

I'm out of ideas and am about ready to reach for the welder or drill out the pulley and cross drill the shaft...no idea how I'd accomplish that, but it's where I'm at. Anything else I should be looking at?

RayS

Is the pulley a tight fit on the shaft. Maybe the pulley or shaft diameters are out of spec. causing it to come off. You can always tack weld the pulley to the shaft in a couple of places.

cityboy2977

or add a second set screw. if you went through all of that with set screws, maybe its time to add a bolt and put the "Melachi crunch" on it.

i run my blower a few times a week for a couple hours at a time and never ran into the issue your having. it would drive me nuts too.

CooterDavenport

My tiller had the same problem. The pulley and shaft are each worn so theres a little bit of slop. I replaced the setscrew with a bolt and jamnut with blue locktight and put an extra one 90 degrees from the first. It's still holding so far

steve-wis

I agree with Ray, probably enough wear to let the pulley waggle and loosen up. A second set screw at 90 degrees will help a lot. I would drill and tap the second hole in the pulley hub, then slide it on the shaft and drill thru the new set screw hole and into the shaft just enough for the end of the set screw to seat into the hole. Then a short set screw first, tightening it and the original at the same time, back and forth, till they are really tight. Then another short set screw over the first to lock it. Don't forget there are two there if you ever take it off, it is embarrassing to pound for 20 minutes before realizing there is another screw in there. (Trust me on this).

Steve