Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SS spark question

huffy

Blew snow last night and tractor ran fine. Wouldn't start today. In line plug tester shows only real faint spark. Any ideas as to cause? Battery's fully charged and has new plugs. Changed ignition module this summer. Stator coil going bad?

Stator has nothing to do with spark. That is for the charging system for battery. If you give it a shot of ether or carb cleaner in the air intake tube does it want to run?

Ether didn't do it this a.m. The spark is real faint. I had to cup my hand over the tester bulb to see it. Could it this be from something getting wet from blowing snow last night?

Chris,

It would help here if we knew what type of tractor/engine model we're talking about. You said the "plugs" were changed; is it a Kohler KT-xx or Magnum twin with factory solid state ignition? If so, then yes the ignition modules have been known to fail sometimes. My brothers M-20 Kohler module failed a few years ago in his Sunstar with a similar weak spark problem.

Tom (PK)